Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Get away from every where you used to hunt and go south to a warmer climate. Try to get away from the big open water and hit the rivers, all that water is frozen on the big bays and not many ducks are in those areas anymore.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hunt the storm fronts. If it is not storming my group will only get 1 or 2 but when it storms it forces them to move to smaller water.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
South.... I believe south is the way they fly this time of year.... :p

Just kidding man. I agree with dark cloud... they'll be on rivers, springs, creeks and any little potholes that they can keep open with numbers and a little movement. 8)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went out to jump a canal that i've known about we jumped a hen mallard that got up way to far out and then we jumped a drake widgeon. I dropped him but thats all we saw. nothing else. it was a cannal up north. shouldn't there be more ducks than that on it (its about a mile or so long)?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
It depends.... sometimes other people hit it and spook them off, other times they just aren't there. I have a couple really reliable spots that sometimes have held birds this year, other times I really have to put some miles in to come home with anything.... those days suck but at least you got something right?? Thats the hard thing about this time of year... you just have to really scout or have a bunch of places in your pocket so if one doesn't produce you can just drive and hit the next one. There are a couple places I have that are like a "milk run" of creeks, holes and channels that I can usually find some ducks on. There are other places that you can access through several WMAs that will either not freeze or at least have holes and channels holding some birds.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya it was nice to have gotten that drake. they sure are cool looking.

so is setting up with dekes kinda done for the year. i was hoping for some open water during this christmas break. i haven't gotten out enough this year and was going to make up for it this upcoming week.

I'll have to hit the few spots that i know about.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Me and Diverfreak found a thousand or so ducks and a quite a few honkers...

We watched a pair of honkers hit another pond, took a walk, located the geese, 20 minutes of sneakin' and belly crawled and I snuck within 20 yards of these two honkers...and thats all she wrote.

Jump shooters paradise...

Tony also snuck up upon 90 sleeping Ringnecks...two of the drakes got away

Scout, scout, scout...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts