Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to people ice fish other then the main lakes such as Rockport, Scofield, Strawberry, East Canyon, Pelican, Jordanelle, Deer Creek, etc... I'm looking for some smaller lakes or some lakes that aren't as crowded like Silver Lake or Tibble Fork or Mill Hollow??? Anyone ice fish the Uintah Lakes? How is your success on other lakes?

·
Registered
629 Posts
The main issue with ice fishing smaller lakes will always be access. Most roads into small lakes are not maintained through the winter and are tough to get into. If you have snow machines there are plenty of options in the uintas, boulders, manti mountain, etc. but without them your options are very limited. I personally stick to the larger lakes with good access and fish the out of the way places the rest of the year.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Being sledless, I'm with ScottyP.
I would add Pineview, Causey, Willard Bay and Mantua on the list for folks that like to fish up North.

·
Administrator
21,506 Posts
No snowmobiles or ATVs for me.

I ice fish Flaming Gorge, Sulphur Creek Res., Viva Naughton, Boysen in Wyoming and Deer Creek, Pineview, Echo, East Canyon and Rockport in Utah.......used to do Steinaker, Red Fleet and Pelican in the 80s when I worked in Vernal often.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True ScottyP. I do have a machine and plan on getting out. I'm just curious if anyone ventures to lakes that aren't always crowded? What about community ponds, can you ice fish those?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Maple lake is a great little lake that you would probably have to yourself many times. Definitely need your sled to get there.
Maybe even payson lake, again needing the sled.
We still need to meet up at that secret spot I discussed with you last year. Since then, I have found someone that can get us in without any problems!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I was up in the Uintahs yesterday, there were a couple of guys that packed all their Ice gear up to Mirror lake & were fishing it. I have never fished any of the uintah lakes personally, But there are usually a few people fishing the main lakes along the highway each time I go up there. It just seems like a pain in the butt to pack your gear in 20 or so miles each way to catch a bunch of little 8-10 inch fish. i have heard that the fishing is non-stop during the winter at those lakes though.

I might have to give it a try this year. :D I usually only hit the bigger lakes, Strawberry the most, then Rockport. I usually plan a couple trips each to fishlake and Flaming Gorge every year. there is no substitute for the excitment of possibly hooking on to one of those 20-30lb macks. Ya never know what the next bite will be. Strawberry is probrably my favorite. I have had 50 fish days there before, can barely move the next day from all the reeling :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I will have to try the lakes up north sometime. I usually fish any lake with safe ice from Fishlake south. Panguitch, Red Creek (Paragonah), Yankee, Navajo, Otter Creek etc. etc.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've always wanted to ice fish Matt Warner res. Anyone ever tried?

I fish mostly Strawberry. I keep saying I need to try new places. Mantua, Causey, Pineview, Fishlake. Maybe this will be the year.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
holman927 said:

I fish mostly Strawberry. I keep saying I need to try new places. Mantua, Causey, Pineview, Fishlake. Maybe this will be the year.
If you live a long distance away from Causey, fish it in the morning and then hit Pineview in the afternoon. Two for one!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Grandpa D said:
holman927 said:

If you live a long distance away from Causey, fish it in the morning and then hit Pineview in the afternoon. Two for one!
That's not a bad idea. I don't think I live much further from Causey that I do from Strawberry. Ill have to check it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts