Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would throw another thought out about LaSal Mountains. I see bear down there every time I go, and it's primarily from the road. Saw two bear last year when hunting them in the spot and stalk. Passed on the first, didn't have a chance at the second.

As JohnnyCake said, pretty much everywhere down there. In 2015 when I had another spot and stalk permit, the biologist gave me some contacts of some melon farmers that were on the unit down near Green River that were having issues with bear eating their melons.. The farmers would have allowed us to set up, but I had already tagged a bear up near Fisher Valley Mesa close to the dinosaur tracks.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
So is it still a thing that if you have enough points to draw a bear tag in the Las Sals or SJ that houndsmen would take ya out for reduced cost so they could run with a tag holder when no one else can be there running dogs? I ask because I'm sitting on 16 Bear Points and am thinking about cashing them in the next few years. I would like to do the dog thing but I don't want to drop $6k on an outfitter. Maybe I should just do Nebo bait but figured I would ask. I love dog work and chasing hounds is a way fun but maybe not $6k fun! Any houndsman wants to trade a chukar hunt over fine pointing dogs for a bear hunt over hounds let me know! ;)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Cottonwood High School
I'm not arguing, or saying he's wrong...

...just curious his source of info? 15 years ago, did the DWR even have accurate bear counts? Just curious, nothing more.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Quite a few bears in the Lake Canyon area around our family property, which is near Duchesne. Always have them on cameras. Isn't the first habitat that comes to mind when you think bears, but they are thick in there.

·
Administrator
10,907 Posts
Here is a link to the story of on killed down by Antimony a few years earlier than Old Ephraim.

It was posted here on the forum a few years ago in this thread

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Here is a link to the story of on killed down by Antimony a few years earlier than Old Ephraim.

It was posted here on the forum a few years ago in this thread

Way cool, and I have never heard that story before. I am, however, very familiar with the area he was harvested in, which made reading the old stories all the more fun.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Administrator
10,907 Posts
The person mentioned in the story Charles Rowan was a good friends of mine grandfather.

When they moved up to Provo we would listen to the stories that he would tell of the bear. He had a picture of the bear skin draped over a horse showing its paws hitting the ground on both sides

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
The person mentioned in the story Charles Rowan was a good friends of mine grandfather.

When they moved up to Provo we would listen to the stories that he would tell of the bear. He had a picture of the bear skin draped over a horse showing its paws hitting the ground on both sides
Based on the Familysearch story and the place names given for where the bear was killed, it would seem that it was taken just Northeast of an area where I have harvested multiple deer in my lifetime and almost always see bucks. It overlooks the area where the bear apparently was and I can picture the area it took place in my minds eye. Of course, place names in that era were "fluid" and what one old timer called a given spot was often different than what another group used for the same area. We found that even in my time up there.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Based on the Familysearch story and the place names given for where the bear was killed, it would seem that it was taken just Northeast of an area where I have harvested multiple deer in my lifetime and almost always see bucks. It overlooks the area where the bear apparently was and I can picture the area it took place in my minds eye. Of course, place names in that era were "fluid" and what one old timer called a given spot was often different than what another group used for the same area. We found that even in my time up there.
Mollie's Nipple? That's a shockingly common name across the region.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'd say the majority of bears in Utah are in the woods. That's where they schit anyway.

And nice bear Kevin!
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Sky Automotive tire

there’s quite a few town bears too! People just don’t know about them. This one frequented the dumpster at a gas station in santaquin for quite awhile. Of course it took one old lady to come face to face with him one morning dumping some trash to ruin his little secret.

i took this photo of him one morning after he ran up the road in front of me on my way to work.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts