Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a good place to have my meat processed so it will last longer. Is there any reputable businesses whom you have PERSONAL experience with? Obviously Im not from Utah and this will be my first year taking a deer.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If you are in northern Utah call Carl at CPR Game Processing, 801-458-1079, he has processed a deer and both of my elk for us and were very satisfied. His family raised commercial beef for decades and cut back to 8-10 head of cattle for the family. Now that he is retired he uses their commercial meat processing equipment to do wild game and can age the meat as long a you like, he can hang up to 30 carcasses. You can request it to be cut up however you wish.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are in northern Utah call Carl at CPR Game Processing, 801-458-1079, he has processed a deer and both of my elk for us and were very satisfied. His family raised commercial beef for decades and cut back to 8-10 head of cattle for the family. Now that he is retired he uses their commercial meat processing equipment to do wild game and can age the meat as long a you like, he can hang up to 30 carcasses. You can request it to be cut up however you wish.
Ok thanks, will keep this in mind. Actually Im in utah county, so anything in my county or salt lake county.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went with Clay Meier last year and had good results. I won't order there regular jerky again though. Too much salt for me. The salami, hamburger, barbecue jerky were all good. And I would do it again. They processed 2 elk for me last year.

12835 Minuteman Dr, Draper, UT 84020
(801) 571-3337

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
I've taken my last couple animals to Fords in Provo. I'm not sure how they compare to other places as far as price goes, but I like their jerky and I LOVE their summer sausage, so taking it to them works for me.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Hunsaker Meats in West Valley did a moose for me years ago and did a good job. I've also had Clay Meier do work as well, and they did a fine job.

My experience is all old news as I've done my own animals for the past 5 years. That would be my vote - learn to do it yourself, and you'll only be disappointed with yourself if something goes wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
+1 on Hunsakers

Reactions: bkelz

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hunsaker Meats in West Valley did a moose for me years ago and did a good job. I've also had Clay Meier do work as well, and they did a fine job.

My experience is all old news as I've done my own animals for the past 5 years. That would be my vote - learn to do it yourself, and you'll only be disappointed with yourself if something goes wrong.
Great point! thanks for the info

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went with Clay Meier last year and had good results. I won't order there regular jerky again though. Too much salt for me. The salami, hamburger, barbecue jerky were all good. And I would do it again. They processed 2 elk for me last year.

12835 Minuteman Dr, Draper, UT 84020
(801) 571-3337
Thanks for the reply. I'll give them a buzz tomorrow. Will keep in mind the salt issue; at least it wont go bad :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've taken my last couple animals to Fords in Provo. I'm not sure how they compare to other places as far as price goes, but I like their jerky and I LOVE their summer sausage, so taking it to them works for me.
Theres been a couple votes on Ford. I"ll have to do a google search. thanks for the tip.

·
Super Moderator
10,022 Posts
Ford's has been in business in Provo since I can remember back in the 50's

There is something to be said about a business that has been around for 60+ years.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
They do a good job. I did have one slight issue with them a couple years ago. But I forgave and moved on....and I still use them and haven't been disappointed since.

Like I said, the summer sausage is pretty unbelievable.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They do a good job. I did have one slight issue with them a couple years ago. But I forgave and moved on....and I still use them and haven't been disappointed since.

Like I said, the summer sausage is pretty unbelievable.
good to hear! this is Fords Locker in provo right? if so there's this lady who brings and sells their dog treats from them at my work. she must know someone because she sells at a cheaper rate than on their ebay account

1 - 17 of 17 Posts