Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or am I not seeing the number of elk pics I'm used too? Social media is pretty dry with the exception of the mossy possee....now deer on the other hand, those are out of control!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The Antimony Merc has a Facebook page and the lady who runs the page has been posting some pics of a handful of pretty respectable bulls that have come off the Dutton this year. Other than that I haven't really seen much. I have a friend who is guiding on the Boulder and my dad is hunting on Southwest Desert right now. From what they have said things have been pretty tough so far. The bulls aren't talking much yet. I would suspect that when the LE muzzleloader hunt starts next week that we might start seeing a lot more LE bull elk pictures.

·
Super Moderator
9,779 Posts
There haven't been that many archery stories and photos either. It is hard to tell if no one is getting any or if they are just keeping quiet.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I am seeing fewer pic's and stories as well. I wonder if the heat spell hit near the end of August and into September changed things for archers and maybe even the any weapon hunt.

I spent a couple days in the southeastern part of the state a few weeks ago and it was a scorcher even at 9000 feet. I am no expert by any means, just wonder what or how the heat effected the hunt, and rut. I wonder how last weeks cold front that rolled through the state changed things...

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
C'mon Berry...you've got goods to give up. Even your Facebook page has been slow until today. You're holding out on us!

I've seen some great bulls posted from around the state. Just not many on the forums.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Is it just me or am I not seeing the number of elk pics I'm used too? Social media is pretty dry with the exception of the mossy possee....now deer on the other hand, those are out of control!
Yep, deer increasing nicely on many units..:!:..

Elk on the other hand, decreasing on many units......
Hence, lack of LE elk success pics.
Looks to me like this trend could continue for a few more years to come.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Sounds like it was a tough early rifle hunt. My dad are his sw desert tag and many of the hunters he talked with didn't have any better luck. He saw a few pickups there at the end leaving with lower 300s bulls from hunters that decided it was now or never. My brother said my dad had a shot at a 330 class bull in the 2nd to last day but dad didn't want him.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
lots of elk where I hunted...

·
Registered
248 Posts
A friend on mine got back from the muzzy hunt on Sunday; he only saw one bull with about 30 cows. Closest he ever got was about 700 yards and he was running the other way. Not a lot of action at least where he was by Manti!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts