Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a smoker. I definitely want something I can "set it and forget it" type. I know purists out there probably love their traditional type ones and I'm sure they're probably better. But I just want to do easy type stuff. I know Bradley is a big name but just curious what ones you guys think are the best bang for the buck. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Bradley's are nice and simple. I used to have one. If I was going to go with another electric smoker it would be a Masterbilt or something along those lines. The pucks were expensive and I was always worried that one would get stuck and burn up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would suggest getting a pellet grill. Camp chef makes a great one that you can usually get for under 600. It will let you do anything you want. I use mine at least twice a week.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have a traeger pellet grill and it is extremely easy to use. Have done everything from slow smoked whitefish to grilled elk steaks and smoked sausage. May be cost prohibitive though depending on your budget. I rarely use my gas grill anymore.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You can find the smaller masterbuilt electric smokers for just under 200$$ (I paid 159 at cabelas with a coupon and watching the sales) I've had mine for 3+years and try and use it 1-2 times per week. I've done a 22lb turkey in it all the way down to everything else you can think of. well worth the money. You do have to put the wood chips in manually but you get to decide how often etc. the chips are so much cheaper than the nearly pucks are also.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Those with the Traeger or Camp Chef smokers....is there enough room on a single layer rack to do a bunch of meat? Plus you can't hang summer sausage and the like right?

·
Registered
174 Posts
You would be surprised what you can fit on a single rack. I have cooked 4 pork shoulders at a time with room to spare. Camp chef also sells a jerky rack set that adds 3 more racks of space.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
There is plenty of room for a lot of meat on the traeger. I like being able to wood grill things quickly as well as slow smok so there's more of a dual functionality to the pellet grill that I enjoy. It's not perfect for every type of smoked meat, but it's worked well for most of what I've tried.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so the pellet grill option, I can just use that as a regular grill for things too right? it has the option to smoke right? are they all charcoal or are there propane options? I want something easy.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
so the pellet grill option, I can just use that as a regular grill for things too right? it has the option to smoke right? are they all charcoal or are there propane options? I want something easy.
Yes, I bought a Traeger 3 years ago and haven't lit the propane grill since. I do my steaks, ribs, pulled pork and smoke my deer jerky. These use wood pellets. You don't use propane or charcoal. When I do ribs, I put them in at 9:00 and set it to "smoke". At noon I change it to 225 and wrap the ribs. At 5:00 they fall of the bone. I've done jerky a half dozen different ways in the last 15 years and the traeger is easiest and makes the best jerky. Once you eat meat from a wood pellet smoker, all others are just meh..

·
Registered
416 Posts
So those of you who use this in place of your gas grill for things like burgers and such, do these take longer to cook the burgers than a normal grill? Or about the same amount of time

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
So those of you who use this in place of your gas grill for things like burgers and such, do these take longer to cook the burgers than a normal grill? Or about the same amount of time
On average a little longer I would say. The difference for something like burgers or steaks isn't that much though.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Last time this came up someone posted a pellet grill that was like a Traeger but looked to be better built. As I recall, it wasn't any cheaper, but just seemed to be better quality. Anyone remember what brand that was?

I'm not in the market, but Utahgolf and others may be interested.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Last time this came up someone posted a pellet grill that was like a Traeger but looked to be better built. As I recall, it wasn't any cheaper, but just seemed to be better quality. Anyone remember what brand that was?

I'm not in the market, but Utahgolf and others may be interested.
I think it was green mountain grills. They are widely accepted as better than a traeger at the same price point. If my traeger ever dies to point I can't fix it, I will try one of those grills. I estimate I have a about 1500 hours of cooking on the traeger so far with no issues. My dad has had a traeger for about 7 or 8 years now and had to replace the igniter 2 times and the controller about 6 months ago. He keeps it covered (most of the time) and the body is still in good shape.

Big burgers and steaks take me 25-35 minutes on the traeger compared to about 15 mintues on the regular gas grill. My kids ate gas grilled burgers over easter and asked me what was wrong with the burgers.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My kids ate gas grilled burgers over easter and asked me what was wrong with the burgers.
-BaHa!-

I ate cold smoked then grilled hotdogs for the first time about a month ago. I don't think I can ever eat a regular grilled hotdog again without feeling a little sad that it's not living up to its potential.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Cookshack.com

This is a great electric smoker with a thermostat, so it's about as close to "set it and forget it" as they come. They're insulated really well so they cook as well in a blizzard as they do in the summer. And you only use a chunk or two size piece of wood for an entire cook.

I have a number of smokers, but this is the one I use the most because it lets me get a full night's sleep or work all day and turns out top notch quality.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I put 25 lbs of elk summer sausage on the Traeger about an hour ago. :)

I'm really happy with the Traeger for everything except steaks. It does okay but I prefer super hot temps for steaks.

It does great chicken and take and bake pizzas are awesome on it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts