Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Which Flag?

8K views 135 replies 26 participants last post by  Vanilla 
#1 ·
Alright, here are the finalists...

For all the Utahns in the room, which do you prefer?

Rectangle Product Font Triangle Line

See less See more
#6 ·
Why change it... its like the new generation has OCD and zero attention span, they gotta change EVERYTHING... what is a man, what is a woman... gender in general, language now flags.

But if were going to change it, go with this:

-DallanC

I don't see anything??? But as to why change it? Our current and soon to be old flag sucks. That's why! Our state flag can be a point of pride for Utahns if it doesn't suck. Give it time, you'll get on board, old timer! ;)

#4 ·
I wish I knew the meaning behind some of these flags. That's important. I need context for the symbolism.

for example, I don't know what these flags even represent:
Flag Font Automotive exterior Rectangle Slope
Rectangle Font Electric blue Symbol Event
Sky Water Electric blue Symmetry Art

these look like they belong somewhere in the middle east:
Triangle Tree Font Rectangle Tints and shades
Water Sky Rectangle Font Circle

This might be a candidate for Czez Republic alternate flag:
Triangle Rectangle Art Water Font

I'm good with the behives, and maybe even something including the Arch.

What is the meaning behind an eight-pointed star??

#9 ·
I like the old one much better than any of these. :rolleyes:

But a few initial comments;

1. If I was forced to pick, I would go with 4,9, or 10. None of them really grab me though.
2. #8 is the Delta airlines insignia? Good grief.
3. I agree with PBH that a lot of them with the stars look like flags from various Islamic states. I don't think that fits our demographics.
4. Dallan, the flag you posted already is the de facto state flag south of Nephi. ;)
5. And yes, what is the significance of the 8 pointed star?

#13 ·
It only divides if you allow it to. I think it is kind of fun. This might be the single best thing Dan McCay has done as an elected official. Not might, actually...it definitely is.

Let's get an awesome flag. Something we can be proud of here in the state. Critter comes from a dumpster fire crap hole, yet their flag is great. Lone Hunter is an invader from that other crap hole of California, but their flag is good too. Our flag sucks. I look forward to hearing about some of the meaning on the proposed flags, as others have indicated. But I'm leaning towards the top left version.

Make flags great again! #MFGA!

#16 ·
Sorry... I still think our current flag is very cool. One of the few state flags showing the national American Flag.

Eagle is striking and awesome, the arrow heads a shout out to out Native American tribal heritage, the Beehive is fine, symbol of Industry, and the Seago Lilly which is a symbol of the pioneer struggles settling this valley.

Bird Sleeve Crest Font Accipitridae

I kind of feel wanting to change so dramatically, is shXXting on our heritage to a certain degree.

-DallanC

#18 ·
Sorry... I still think our current flag is very cool. One of the few state flags showing the national American Flag.

Eagle is striking and awesome, the arrow heads a shout out to out Native American tribal heritage, the Beehive is fine, symbol of Industry, and the Seago Lilly which is a symbol of the pioneer struggles settling this valley.

I kind of feel wanting to change so dramatically, is shXXting on our heritage to a certain degree.

-DallanC
I think Dallan is thinking in the right direction. If the current flag is to be replaced, then new flag should represent Utah's heritage, which is exactly what the old flag does.

Those proposed flags all feel like a cop-out, similar to what we saw with Cedar High School eliminating Redmen, and replacing with a combination of "Reds" (what is a Red??) and using a wolf as a mascot. If the flag is to be redesigned, it should be done with respect to the what's, why's, and how's of Utah. The one that represents a sego lily and the two with the arch are the only proposals that even hint at the history and heritage of Utah.

#17 ·
non of the proposals say "Utah" to me, with the exception of the arches. Noone outside of Utah would recognize the behive as Utah (the Beehive State).

The sego lily flag is probably my favorite -- but that's only because I happen to recognize that as a sego lily, which is the Utah state flower. But, again, how does that reach out to non-Utahns that can't tell the difference between a sunflower and sego lily?

Plant Rectangle Font Cartoon Bird

The only thing I can come up with on the eight-pointed star (thanks Google) is it is a religious symbol - but not necessarily any specific religion. It can also be referred to as a chaos star. heck, the more I read, the more I find on them -- which leaves far too many interpretations for people to come up with, which means that (in my opinion) it should be omitted.

Reactions: DallanC
#22 ·
The arch is iconic, and definitely speaks to Utah, but it speaks to what the world gets in Utah. I don't think it speaks to our legacy and tradition the way the beehive does.

The new flag has to have the beehive. A shout to our national parks and red rock country is permissible too. That's why I think I've settled on top left on this list.

Still not as good as the commemorative flag. But better than the current version. Even though Dallan makes a solid case for its meaning.

#23 · (Edited)
Our current and soon to be old flag sucks. That's why! Our state flag can be a point of pride for Utahns if it doesn't suck. Give it time, you'll get on board, old timer! ;)
Sucks? Point of Pride? Huh......

I like the current flag, it's color, showing our past (beehive and 1847), giving a nod to our ingenuity and industry, includes a State symbol and nod to our motto, date of Statehood, symbols supporting the Republic of which we are a part of and -maybe best of all- says the name of our State to help all the 5th graders on their States' flags tests.

Some might not like it, but it definitely doesn't suck. But I'm not a turtleguy.

As for the proposals- I don't like the orange or yellows, the red white and blue ones don't represent much and the 125 year flag with the beehive reminds me of the Cech flag. I'm born and raised in UT and none of these show much to where we came from. They all seem like people trying to put a new spin on it with little to no context.

#24 ·
Fair point..."suck" may be a little harsh. I just look at some other flags and you see that there is great pride in them. People in those states fly them, display them, have shirts with them pictured, etc. We don't get that in Utah. Heck, half the school aged kids in Utah probably couldn't even describe 50% of what is on Utah's flag. (I wonder how many on this forum could?)

We can come up with something simple, that is attractive and can be a branding for our state. Something we can be proud of, because we certainly have a lot to be proud of here in this great state!

#28 ·
I think the problem with the arch symbol will be it's already associated with our license plates. I like the icon but not the continuity with cars; something just doesn't feel right about that to me.

None of them are screaming out to me but I do like the 2nd row, 2nd from the right. I like the contrast between mountain and sandstone I believe they are going for. I think it would stand out compared to other flags and avoids the visual clutter of the current flag.

But I'm not a flag waver or flier and I don't imagine that will change with a new design.

#34 ·
I honestly don’t care. But if I had to choose, the flag would need to represent us as the world sees us: arches/national parks, fry sauce, soda shops, swingers….

#35 ·
If I had to pick - I would go with the Sego Lily on the dark blue background. It does seem difficult to me to just pick a single symbol though. The beehive probably has more symbology of our state’s heritage than the sego Lily. The old flag definitely pays respect to a few important symbols of Utah but is not great from a graphic standpoint. I think the new proposals may have over-simplified a bit too much. I also agree with PBH that we need to know the symbology behind each design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.