Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a new rifle. I want something that is a good all-around gun. The caliber choices are as follows. .243, 270, 7mm rem mag, 30-06? Which one would be good on coyotes, speed goats,deer, elk, and moose.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
If you eliminate elk and moose, then the 243 would be a fine choice. Otherwise go with any of the other three.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does the recoil of the 7mm rem mag compare to a 30-06? I have shot the 30-06 before.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Depending on the weight of the gun, the weight and velocity of the bullet, if they are similar, the recoil will be as well.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Im gonna get the .243 then if I draw on a good elk tag or a moose, Ill go get a big boy.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The 7mm Rem Mag has worse recoil than the '06 from my experience. I have also found enough significant chamber variations in different 7mm Mags that I believe that sometimes you are just getting .280 performance at times. Due to the belted design and the tolerances the manufacturers allow in chambering a design that headspaces on the belt.
I would rather have one of the beltless Win Short Mags in .270 or 7mm that headspace on the shoulder just like a .243/.270/.30-06 than a belted Remmy 7 Mag anymore because of that. Recoil seems less too with them, but that may just be me.
Other good calibers would be the .25-06 (especially if elk/moose were not a main item), which would really be a better pick than the .243, and also the excellent and efficient 7mm-08, and .308 Win. rounds.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Short Action

Can't go wrong with any of the rounds you've mentioned, although the .243 is too small for elk. I love short action calibers in the lightest possible rifles for big game because my hunting style involves carrying them over long distances. I do a lot more carrying than shooting, and prefer rifles that weigh under 6 pounds (naked, w/o scope etc.) if at all possible. 7mm-08, .308, or any of the WSM calibers for more punch are my favorites. You can usually find lighter rifles in the short actions. That said, you'll find ammo for .243, .30-06, and .270 everywhere and anywhere, and all are great choices.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
I've recently had a simillar choice to make and have decided on the 7mm-08.

I already have a .243 and a 30-06.

For the game mentioned.... I would go with the 30-06 or the 7mm, cant go wrong with either of them.

sawsman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts