Votes: 15 62.5%
  • I would take a wider typical.

Votes: 9 37.5%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the hunts haven't started yet I decided to waste everyone's time with a poll. So last year I had a chance to pick a buck out of a small bachelor herd. Two were 4 points. One is the one I shot below and the other a typical 4 point that was a couple inches wider. They were both about the same age and had the same mass. The main difference was that one was typical, but slightly wider, and one was the none typical that I shot. I wish I could say I made the choice to shoot the one I got. What really happened is due to mechanical difficulties I blew the chance on the typical, and took the one I got on the last day. I had assumed the one I shot was a 2x3 as I did not look closely at it and missed the extra sides. For many of you I realize neither would be a shooter, but just change the question to larger bucks. Would you take a huge typical, or a huge non typical that was just a couple inches narrower.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I'm sorry but I'm not going to try and pick a side on this one.
Without a picture of the wider buck, who really knows.
Since you did get your buck mounted, probably because you are/were proud of it.
Don't take that away.
What your doing, is kind of like posting a picture of your wife or girlfriend and asking if we would choose her or another woman to marry, if the other women was a supermodel or something like that.
IMO, your buck looks really good on the wall.
Now , if you ask me if I would choose a 190" typical or a 230" non-typical.
Both bucks just barely making the B&C record book. I would choose the 230" buck in most cases.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've killed a couple of really nice typicals so I'd probably go for the one you shot. I love the way the main splits into 3 points. Several years ago we had one in our area that was just a three point but they split like yours only turned down looking as if it was a banana peel that was half peeled from the banana. I chased him for two weeks but could never get an arrow in him. He was by no means huge, but so unique I would have loved to have him on the wall.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Always the non typical, even if smaller. I still love those polydactyl sonic hedgehog thumbs.

While non-typical, he is pretty symmetrical.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ridgetop, I hear what you are saying, I should have just put the description, not the pic. I am not personally attached to animals so saying you wouldn't shoot this isn't like saying my wife is ugly. I didn't even pick this one deliberately, and am still not sure which one I would take. That is what brought the question up. The typical is still up there and I am likely going after it again this year. I was just thinking as I was planning where I am hunting this year if I had both bucks together which would I shoot. So lets say 200" typical, or 190" non typical. That would more accurately portray the difference.

Nambaster, sorry about the sideways pic. Thanks for fixing it. As for in the house, it is lucky to have a spot in the garage! My wife is great, and tolerates me hunting, but is not a fan. That is the reason for the 20 year break I took.

This post accomplished what I hoped it would. Some discussion on who would shoot a smaller non typical, or who would prefer a larger typical and some humor on the side. Thanks everyone! I am just going nuts waiting so I though I would toss something out there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really like typical deer so I would probably shoot the wider typical. But if it had a lot of cool trash I wouldn't pass it up!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Normally I'd go typical because, honestly, I've never gotten into the non-typical thing. But I remember when you posted that picture originally and thinking that rack is about the coolest non-typical rack I've ever seen! I love the long back tine, and really love how the main beam forks to three. Just on the character of the rack, I'd shoot the one you did every time over a typical that's only a couple inches wider.

I mean think about it, how many other typical racks will you see and have a chance at taking over your hunting life? And then, how many racks will you see with that kind of character AND symmetry?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I would love to find a cool non-typical. I have some nice typical 4's. Have never shot an even decent non-typ. My son-in-law hunts the same area I do and he has taken a 7x8 with a 6" drop, a 6x7 that had cheaters, an in line, and a hook. I never find that stuff.........:sad:

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
kdinkel, sorry for the bad analogy.
To answer your questions.
I really like bucks with cheaters.
If I had the chance, I would shoot a cheaters buck over one like your.
But I do still think yours is a cool and unique buck.
About your 200 verses 190 inch bucks.
I would definitely shoot a 200" typical over a 190" non-typical with cheaters.
Much harder to come by.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
So how wide does the one you took end up ?
With the middle point on the bottoms going out like they do, he looks like his width was not bad.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
kdinkel,
after checking my trail cam this morning. I'm now in your same boat. lol
A possible 190" typical showed up on camera.
But the problem is that I also know where a nice 28" wide buck with cheaters is living several miles away from this newly found typical. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wish I had that problem! I don't have anything that big! I will make it easier for you and remove one option for you. Just let me know where and I will take care of it. I am just nice that way!

·
Registered
580 Posts
For me a non typical can be either awesome or ugly depending on configuration, tine length etc. However typical bucks can be the same. So just because I had a chance at a non typical that wouldn't necessarily sway me.

If I were ever in a situation where a perfectly awesome typical was standing next to a perfectly awesome non typical I might just stand there and stare, but if I could get my brain under control I would shoot the non typical in that situation.

To answer your question about the bucks shown and described in this thread I would pick the typical buck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts