Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a new obsession starting. I have hunted grouse in the mountains around strawberry and pheasants in various locations around the state as well as the occasional quail. But I just found out that there are Ptarmigan in some of our mountains! I realize that the few that chase these bird may be closed mouth because there are so few of them BUT I am looking for any info you guys can share with me. Have at it guys, I'm all ears.

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
start walkin'

·
Registered
212 Posts
I hunted the N. slope of the Uintahs this year- enter on the Whitney Reservoir road. It's a HUGE area, so I doubt you'll step on any toes. Stay above treeline. There are birds in there; they make a very distinctive call.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Season starts late August. Hike, hike, hike. Also plan ahead. Me and a buddy are already planning our opening weekend hunt.

Hope you have a dog also, and one that can hike in 8 or 10 miles and then hunt the next day. I would not go after them alone as it is pretty remote country.

If you like the sound of a hard to get, rare, and isolated bird you should check out the snow **** in the Ruby mountians near Elko.....Now that is a challange.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Looking forward to a trip with TW this fall.... should be a great time with hopefully lots of great pictures to bring back with me. :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Don't forget a camera. The sort of places ptarmigan inhabit are breathtaking.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the good info guys! This is a great forum. Keep up the good work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts