Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back east and got roped into taking a friend deer hunting. Looks like we'll be in a heavily forested area, no tree stand, but definitely not the long shots over open terrain that I'm used to. We'll scope around for houses, but this isn't a rural area and it isn't urban...I'll know where the houses are, but I've only ever shot the 308 in places where I could see earth behind my target, so something doesn't sit right about using it in this area. Either way, I don't think we'll take a shot longer than 50 yards, so this seems like a shotgun job.
  • All I have is my smoothbore turkey 12 ga, so I've been looking at rifled slugs (shot isn't legal here for deer). Anybody have experience with this that could give some advice?
  • I was thinking of going with 2 3/4" shells to go easy on the shoulder.
  • Also prefer lead-free ammo, but finding copper at this late date has been challenging. Anybody know anything about the DDupleks Broadhead steel slugs?
  • Or should I just stick with the 308 that I have experience and ammo for?

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Goob shoots alot of elk with a slug gun. He'd probably have the best advice.

Eastern Whitetails are pretty small, at 50 yards you'll get full pass through with about anything. Pattern some 00Buckshot, if you get a decent group at 50 that'll work fine too.

-DallanC

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
832 Posts
Shoot a slug. You could get a rifled choke. Buy some shoot them and see how they pattern. I wouldn't shoot a .308 in that situation.

Reactions: kodoz

·
Registered
442 Posts
I agree on the slugs in your 12. I grew up hunting with one, but had a rifles barrel for shots for a large part of that time. All my other family had smoothies and used reg slugs. 2 3/4 shells from a 12 are way more than enough for whitetail at 50. A double lung will knock them out quick with a great blood trail. We typically used brenneke rifles slugs or whatever the ubiquitous Remington slug load was. Brennekes shot really well to 50 yards and usually pretty good to 75-100.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Administrator
21,953 Posts

Reactions: CPAjeff
1 - 5 of 5 Posts