Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be heading down to the Zion unit for open bull. I have October 2nd through the 9th off of work and I'm pretty freakin' stoked! I just got a new Bushnell Legend Ultra HD mounted on my old sporterized Mauser '06 and it is shooting 1 inch groups with 150 grain Barnes Vor-tx. We have been seeing some bulls around ranging in size from spikes to mature 6 points. I really hope they stick around, but last year we were seeing them in this area as late as the rifle deer hunt so I'm fairly optimistic. My brother and I have trail cams set up in a couple different spots that will tell the story.

Who else is headed out? What unit? What gun and load you packing? Can you tell that I'm a little excited? Good luck to everyone. Be sure to post those pics here in a couple weeks!

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
I'm not going this year and it's killing me to think about it.
Best of luck to those going.
If I was going though, I would be shooting a 7mm rem. mag. with 160 gr. accubonds.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I am doing a spike tag in the same area that I am hunting Spot and Stalk Black Bear which runs around the same time. So I thought why not have the spike tag on me when hunting bear! Can't wait!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I was going to do the open bull, but ended up going spike to be able to hunt my family stomping grounds one last time before I move to Alaska

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
LOTS of tags not sold yet...

Almost 7000 still left when I checked a couple days ago..:!:...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Gonna have a spike tag in my pocket while scouting for my fathers deer on the bookcliffs. 340 Weatherby with 225 Barnes TTSX

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Will be doing the open bull hunt, it's my favorite big game hunt and I am looking forward to it. Taking two friends and six horses this year--it will be the most people and stock I have ever taken so it should be interesting to see how it goes. Last year it was just myself and one horse. Even if the elk hunting is poor I know the fishing will be great and the company will be fun.

I will be shooting my same old Remington 700 30-06 that I have had for 22 years now. Will be shooting my reloads, 150 grain Barnes TSX going 2900 fps. I am thinking about toting along my Dirty Harry wheel gun as a backup or in case I come across a spike or something but carrying it that many miles doesn't sound fun. Probably just stick with what I know.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I will be on zion open bull. Stop by color country if you get over on my side. Our place is down the 'ol sheep lane over by the girls camp. Go thru the white gate. If it's open we are there.
I'll be wandering around with the old Remington 700 06 I got from my dad. Have the first 5 days off.
Just going to relax and goof off. Have a couple a nephews and a son in law or two coming. One son in law is bringing a couple of horses.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I'll be heading down to the Zion unit for open bull. I have October 2nd through the 9th off of work and I'm pretty freakin' stoked! I just got a new Bushnell Legend Ultra HD mounted on my old sporterized Mauser '06 and it is shooting 1 inch groups with 150 grain Barnes Vor-tx. We have been seeing some bulls around ranging in size from spikes to mature 6 points. I really hope they stick around, but last year we were seeing them in this area as late as the rifle deer hunt so I'm fairly optimistic. My brother and I have trail cams set up in a couple different spots that will tell the story.

Who else is headed out? What unit? What gun and load you packing? Can you tell that I'm a little excited? Good luck to everyone. Be sure to post those pics here in a couple weeks!
I am very glad to hear you decided to try the Barnes in 150 grain as I suggested and are shooting well, they are worth every penny.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Excited for the Open Bull any weapon. Northern utah. Remington 700. 30-06. Gonna hunt for 5 days if needed. Good luck guys!! Post up some pics your bulls!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'll be after a spike. My brother and law and I both have a week off so it's getting hard to stay focused at work while I'm thinking about a brisk morning on the mountain. The cool breeze drifting through the yellow aspen leaves and the smell they create. Just a little frost on the hard ground and my fashionable hunter orange jacket keeping me warm.

Can't wait!!

Good luck to you all.

Forgot this part

Ruger #1 .270 with 140 gr. partitions - looks like it might be the smallest gun of the list so far. It sure has put a lot of elk meat on my table over the years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm headed up to the Wasatch unit with 2 buddies. Hauling up the trailer this weekend. I will be hunting from October 3rd through the 9th and if I can get back up again I will. Shooting my reloads Barnes 165 grains from my 7mm.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
My son drew a Manti Cow tag and I picked up a spike tag just in case. We'll be up there from the 1st through the 6th chasing elk.

Gonna be shooting my new X-Bolt 7mm RM...just wish I could find 160gr. Accubond's....instead I'll be using 160gr. Partitions over RL-22.

My son will be using the Model 700 .270 he inherited when my father passed away and he'll be shooting Superformance 130gr. GMX's since I haven't had time to work up a load for that rifle yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am hunting spikes. We have shot 6 spikes in 3 years, hoping to add to the total this year.

I am shooting a Ruger M77 30-06, Swarovski 4x12 Z3, and 180 Grain bullets

·
Registered
208 Posts
We are going on the opener of the bull elk hunt with a cows in our pockets no bull tags maybe we will buy s spike tag not sure yet. I will be shooting my trusty savage 300 win mag 180 grain Hornady my pops and my father in law will be shooting there old reliable 30-06's so we should have a fun hunt!

·
Senior Goof
3,605 Posts
Any Bull. Shooting the Tikka 7RM. This weekend I will figure out if I am shooting the 168 VLD or the 160 Accubond. Hard to stray away from that VLD when it performed so well on my elk last year.

Going with some friends to the high country. We split up and cover a lot of ground, should be a good time. Taking quite a few days off this year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hunting the any bull unit with my father on the South Slope. We will be in the area from 3-10 October. I also have a cow tag, so we just want some meat!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Was going to spike hunt but some family and friends schedules didnt work out with the kids and wives coming along so exchanged the spike tag for any bull. I figured if its just me my bro and a buddy we should go big. Will be hunting northern utah with my 300 win mag. Not sure the factory load yet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've failed to draw for the past two years. The idea of sitting out two years in a row makes me feel a little :crazy:. I thought about doing a spike tag or any bull tag but things just don't seem to be working in my favor.

Two buddies who wanted to go hunting with me this year had life get in the way, one went back to school the other is switching jobs and will be in training. My BIL, and sometimes hunting partner, is doing muzzleloader elk while I have only ever rifle hunted. My father, while getting up there in years, has tagged along on 2 or 3 elk hunts with me but will not be around during elk season this year. It's either go solo or stay home. Attempting to pack an elk off the mountain solo is a bit daunting to me.

Also, I've always found elk on a spike hunt but usually it's a trophy bull or cows. I've never to a shot opportunity on a spike. And I've never hunted an any bull unit.

I'd really like to go, but can't decide if I want to go it alone and where I would go if I did...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts