Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, drew LE wasatch with 6 points. This boy comes along opening morning, who would take the shot? Who would not? Why?

Let’s assume you have plenty of time in field left.
Plant Black-and-white Grass Natural landscape Working animal

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
What season? Archery, if he were close enough maybe. If ML or rifle, I'd hold off if I had the time to hunt the entire hunt. I see lots of bulls this size on the ML deer hunt, could have killed one like this nearly every day hunting for the past 5 years.

Its your tag though... shoot what makes you happy. There will be people responding that their kid would be estatic with a bull like that, but others would pass on a 360 bull still looking for something bigger.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Not a great picture so hard to tell. When I hunted that tag I set my sights on a "six point". Hunted hard and next to the last day ended up harvesting what I was looking for.

That being said I think you could do better with a little more selectivity. But enjoy the journey. That's the fun part.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Are my young kids with me? Is he within a hundred yards of the road and positioned so they could watch me shoot him?

If yes on both fronts, that would be hard to pass up.

But if it were just for me personally, I doubt it.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I passed on a 330 bull the last day after spending all but two days of the hunt trying to get the "Big Boy" that I had close encounters with. Processed tag soup on a LE Wasatch hunt. I'll never have another LE tag in my possession again.

Like CPAjeff said...."The trophy is in the eye of the beholder". It's your tag, your derision. Scouting will tell you what bulls are on the unit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We all get way too caught up on score and inches - to each his own on what they want to shoot with their tag, and what they want their experience to be like. In this specific scenario, I would personally pass on opening morning, but a raghorn 5 point may not look so bad on the last day. I love punching my tag, but I also love the full experience of the hunt, so to end it on a young bull on the first day when there will likely be opportunities at a bigger bull on a long hunt like the bowhunt would be a little anticlimactic for me personally.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You could do a lot better on the Wasatch than that bull but any branch antlered bull with a bow is an accomplishment and like others have already stated it's your tag so shoot what makes you happy you won't have another LE elk tag in Utah anytime soon so take it in and make sure you do all you can to get the experience you are looking for that is as important or more than filling your tag IMO. Have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
trying to be mentally strong and prepare. I want to say that I will wait cause I see the potential in the unit but don’t want to eat tag soup.

i will post some Trailcam pics in a few weeks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts