Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a little number crunching on swans and swan numbers and it got me thinking, why doesn't the state give out more than 2K permits per year?

As per the states own admission 5226 people applied and only 2000 permits were issues.
http://wildlife.utah.gov/wildlife-news/1702-apply-for-a-swan-hunting-permit-2015.html

During peak swan migration we average around 20,000+ on a low year to just shy of 50,000 on a high year but usually averaging somewhere around high 30k's low 40k's range.
http://wildlife.utah.gov/waterfowl/swan/swansurvey.php

Im simply trying to wrap my mind around why the state wouldn't allow more tags to be sold, more revenue to be made and more hunters that get to experience of hunting swans in Utah. Even if it were only 500 more tags to be drawn out, that would be an additional 7,500 dollars (not including the 10 dollar application fee) and 500 more memories made in the marshes of Utah, and at minimum making it close to a 50/50 shot at drawing a tag.

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the DWR has determined/speculated that giving more than 2000 permits may increase the harvest of trumpeter swans to unacceptable levels (I'll try to find a source for that). I think that's the main reason for the cap of 2000.

I also think they would encounter some pretty big opposition from certain anti-hunting groups if they ever tried to increase permit numbers, which could make it a hard sell to the wildlife board.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
How much control does the state have on those permit numbers? With the migratory birds act I'm pretty sure permits are determined by a coalition not individual states

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes more sense. Thank you all for your input thus far.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
here you go

The number of tags is based on an agreement we have with the Fish and Wildlife Service (Feds) and some swan conservation groups, which stemmed from a series of law suit and a court decision. We can't modify the hunt zone, permit numbers, or season dates until the trumpeter swan population around Yellowstone and Island Park reaches a certain number of breeding pairs. Once that happens, we can begin discussions with the different groups to modify hunting swan. Currently the swan population is about 50-80 pairs short of the goal. It is moving toward the objective though, so hopefully in the not to distant future we will be able to make some changes.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
here you go

The number of tags is based on an agreement we have with the Fish and Wildlife Service (Feds) and some swan conservation groups, which stemmed from a series of law suit and a court decision. We can't modify the hunt zone, permit numbers, or season dates until the trumpeter swan population around Yellowstone and Island Park reaches a certain number of breeding pairs. Once that happens, we can begin discussions with the different groups to modify hunting swan. Currently the swan population is about 50-80 pairs short of the goal. It is moving toward the objective though, so hopefully in the not to distant future we will be able to make some changes.
Do the trumpeters have to be wild? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here you go

That's good news. At least they are headed in the right direction. Thanks for sharing Dustin..

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am talking in late 70,s early 80,s I remember when I was 13 going to the old northern fish and game office it was about the size of a small bathroom in Washington terrace to pick up a post card you had to mail in for a swan tag then they would draw by hand . My dad passed away in July I was going thru his stuff and found a unused swan tag it's a metal strap you clip around the wing pretty cool

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I am talking in late 70,s early 80,s I remember when I was 13 going to the old northern fish and game office it was about the size of a small bathroom in Washington terrace to pick up a post card you had to mail in for a swan tag then they would draw by hand . My dad passed away in July I was going thru his stuff and found a unused swan tag it's a metal strap you clip around the wing pretty cool
I remember seeing a metal strap of my dad.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Another why question? Why did they start making you only hunt swan at certen areas? I have not put in for a tag since. I hunt mostly cutler & could kill a swan every year if it was a leagle area.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It use to be state wide then to many trumpeter swans were being killed so they made this hunting zone . Back in the day public shooting grounds was a swan hunters dream. And almost anywhere else I think swan hunting hasn't been the same since the lake flooded back in the 80's and goose hunting for that matter the flight pattern changed. Man Corrine was awesome for honkers back then.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
It use to be state wide then to many trumpeter swans were being killed so they made this hunting zone . Back in the day public shooting grounds was a swan hunters dream. And almost anywhere else I think swan hunting hasn't been the same since the lake flooded back in the 80's and goose hunting for that matter the flight pattern changed. Man Corrine was awesome for honkers back then.
yep to many trumpeters was being killed at public and salt creek.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts