Utah Wildlife Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Ya, I would maybe also say they aren’t as “technical” as KUIU or maybe Sitka, but from my experience with KUIU pants, I believe SKRE are superior in comfort and durability. I think, at least KUIU, sacrifices durability for ultra light weight. This could be completely out of the norm, but I started with KUIUs Chinook pant, first time out, ripped. Ordered the attack, first day out, ripped. Ordered the guide, second weekend hunt, ripped. Ordered their more durable guide pro pant, ripped first day again!
For durability, it is very hard to beat the Kuiu Yukon pants and jacket.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
And they have zippers on the rear pockets…

Look -- just having pockets is an upgrade! My sitka pants DON'T HAVE rear pockets, let alone a zipper closure!

Sitka's website makes no mention of rear pockets on their pants! My Dockers have rear pockets, and are beige in color. Maybe I should wear them hunting? BYU has won a handful of games this year, making "Sundays in the woods" a more common occurance!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I hunt in Levis and an olive drab jacket. /shrug

-DallanC
Gimmicks! Pricy ones is all it is. I use carharts to hunt. The only reason I do not use levis/jeans is because blue is a very bright color to the eye spectrum of ungulates. Buy khaki/brown carhart stuff and you're good to go.

• Love
Reactions: Rubythroat

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
That’s wild on all those ripped pants! I wouldn’t use them anymore if that was my experience either. I’ve never had an issue with any piece of clothing of theirs. I like some more than others. My first pair of Attack pants are 9 years old and I wear them every year still. And they have zippers on the rear pockets…
I will say that any First Lite trousers I've owned have fallen apart at the seams in high movement areas without much wear use. Horrible stitching pattern...

·
Registered
7 Posts
That’s wild on all those ripped pants! I wouldn’t use them anymore if that was my experience either. I’ve never had an issue with any piece of clothing of theirs. I like some more than others. My first pair of Attack pants are 9 years old and I wear them every year still. And they have zippers on the rear pockets…
Ya, I'm sure I just had a weird streak of bad luck with them. But I've hunted the same terrain in my SKRE for years now and they're still in great shape. For that, I wouldn't go back to KUIU. But I'd be willing to try other brands that also have hip vents.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Ya, I would maybe also say they aren’t as “technical” as KUIU or maybe Sitka, but from my experience with KUIU pants, I believe SKRE are superior in comfort and durability. I think, at least KUIU, sacrifices durability for ultra light weight. This could be completely out of the norm, but I started with KUIUs Chinook pant, first time out, ripped. Ordered the attack, first day out, ripped. Ordered the guide, second weekend hunt, ripped. Ordered their more durable guide pro pant, ripped first day again! To be fair, I had a pair of Attack pants to wear at home, they never ripped. I thought about ordering their Kutana pant and try out, but the SKRE Hardscrabble I had also been hunting with for a few years had zero rips and was just as breathable, DWR and more comfortable. Also to be fair. My nephew has been hunting in KUIU pants for 2 seasons with no ripped pants. I don’t know what happened with me, maybe just bad luck. But I’ve been very satisfied with SKRE. However, I do love my KUIU Pro pack.
Are you doing a baseball slide down the side of a shale infested mountainside?! Good lord lol

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Kings has had an ongoing 50% off sale.

I was tempted, but I've spent too much money on equipment this year.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
There's always a time to buy. If your looking for a decent outer layer for late fall/winter, that time is now.
70% off, one day only.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've been wondering this for a while now. It's insane the prices of some of this stuff. Let's take First Lite for example, of course all their stuff is insanely expensive but if you were to get their long johns set you would be spending over $200! Long johns. 1 pair of briefs is $55! That's just wild to me.
So if you were to buy their $155 vest or $300 coat, what is their profit margin on that? I can't imagine it costs a quarter of that to produce.
I might be totally wrong. Anyone have a thought one way or another on the subject? Will spending a grand on camo make all the game I can handle magically appear and start running circles around me? Lol
Go to the army navy store and get a whole outfit for 50.00 or less

·
Administrator
8,126 Posts
To me it boils down to two reasons:

1- Marketing. You’re funding their advertising campaign.

2- Materials. I do think they use some pretty good materials in some brands which are really comfortable and durable. So I do think there is some justification to an increase expense due to that (but probably not to the levels they are charging).

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
We went into Sportsman's before Christmas looking for some gloves and hats for the girls. Ugh. The wall with the "traditional" gloves and hats was very sparse, and most of it looked decent, but not great. So we wandered looking more at the "hunting" gloves. OMG! I was shocked -- and I already know that this stuff is expensive! But -- who in their right mind is spending $200+ on a pair of snow gloves?!

I walked out of Sportsman's with a box of 6.5x284 non-lead double tap.
I do not own a gun that will shoot that box of 6.5x284 -- but at least I finally used my coupon!

(we then went to CAL Ranch and bought hats and gloves for the girls!)

·
Registered
285 Posts
We went into Sportsman's before Christmas looking for some gloves and hats for the girls. Ugh. The wall with the "traditional" gloves and hats was very sparse, and most of it looked decent, but not great. So we wandered looking more at the "hunting" gloves. OMG! I was shocked -- and I already know that this stuff is expensive! But -- who in their right mind is spending $200+ on a pair of snow gloves?!

I walked out of Sportsman's with a box of 6.5x284 non-lead double tap.
I do not own a gun that will shoot that box of 6.5x284 -- but at least I finally used my coupon!

(we then went to CAL Ranch and bought hats and gloves for the girls!)
If your not too far from Smith and Edward’s you should check them out for gloves.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts