Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your a day hunter and return to camp every night, why carry more than 4 arrows. I've got to replace a quiver and have used 4 arrow quivers for quite some time (3 broad heads and one field point). Why would I need a bigger arsenal?

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I carry a four arrow quiver as well. Typically 3 arrows are broad heads and one is a small game head. I keep a couple field points in the backpack

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
If your a day hunter and return to camp every night, why carry more than 4 arrows. I've got to replace a quiver and have used 4 arrow quivers for quite some time (3 broad heads and one field point). Why would I need a bigger arsenal?
cause it might take 5 or 6 arrows to hit something at 100 yards. Especially if the animal is running.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Growing up, my Dad always told me it only takes one bullet to kill a deer. So I asked him why he loaded some in the rifle magazine, and had more in a holder on his belt. His answer was "It only takes one. I just don't know which one." He was a rifle hunter, but the point still applies.

·
Registered
334 Posts
When you see someone trying to dig a broad head out of a tree so they can finish off their elk with their 3 arrow quiver empty, you'll know why. I've never needed more than two, but my Tightspot has places for 5 so I fill 'em just in case :)

Cheers,
Pete

·
Registered
650 Posts
I carry 6 because that is what fits in the quiver. 1,2, 4 or 6. What difference does it make how many arrows a person carries... this is not a brag-fest. Fewer arrows in the quiver does not make you more of a man.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I carry 6 because that is what fits in the quiver. 1,2, 4 or 6. What difference does it make how many arrows a person carries... this is not a brag-fest. Fewer arrows in the quiver does not make you more of a man.
nor does more. Mine carries 4. What does that mean? It is one more than three one less than 5. My favorite knife has 5 inch blade though. The reason I carry 4 is that I like to carry four. When we hunt it is deep in the back country that is usually about a 6 hour ride on mules. We don't hunt very far from camp where there are plenty more arrows. I also have never taken a shot that I questioned and I have never been fast enough on the draw to release more than three in a relatively short amount of time.

It's not a pissing contest.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I like having 6 just in case... I agree, it seems highly unlikely that I'll ever need all 6 in one 'session' but one never knows how things will play out. AND, carrying 2 extra arrows doesn't really add significant weight or bulk....so no big deal.

Most animals I've shot were done with one arrow but I did have a deer a few years ago that saw 4 of my arrows (3 hits and 1 miss). My first shot was at 35 yards but I hit him too far forward and to my horror, I got him square in the shoulder. Luckily, I had some friends who spotted him escaping the canyon over 1 mile away and saw him bed down. After a lengthy stalk, I ended up with a terrible second shot and I just missed (he knew I was coming, I had a terrible angle, and I rushed the shot), I luckily nailed him in the upper lungs with my third shot while he was on the move, and the 4th shot was for insurance while he was in his final resting bed. I'm about 99% sure the 4th shot wasn't needed but I was too close to losing him before and didn't want to take ANY chances that he would get away. Definitely NOT the way to do it...that first shot is SO critical. Having the extra arrows was essential that day...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
i used to think the same thing until i bumped my sight and missed with 2 arrows on a spike. i wasn't close to resupply either. luckily i had stump/sm game tip with me to sight back in. i now carry 5 for day trips. 1 has a tip for taking grouse and i have a backup broad head for that as well. if i'm doing a multi-day then i carry a couple extra to camp in the pack.

fwiw, i don't get any extra torque from my quiver being loaded and i haven't had an issue with the extra weight.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Mr Mule... I also carry 4 knifes. 2 on my belt and 2 in my day pack.

Several years ago I emptied my quiver. I was carrying 5 arrows. Ran into a herd of elk. Back in those days I shot fingers and no sight. Bumped into a bedded spike. In my haste, I killed the tree he was laying up against. Just grazed his back. He ran off to another location where I stalked him and got another shot and once more, killed the tree he was standing by. He ran off and to my astonishment, while standing there retrieving my arrow from the tree, a 5 point walked in. Buck fever caught me and I sailed another over his back. He trotted off to the side a few steps and stood broadside to me giving me the perfect shot at 30 yards. I settled down and finally connected. 4 shots in about 10 minutes. My 5th arrow was a blunt for small game. I was beginning to think I would have to change heads and use it. That taught me to always carry as many as the quiver will carry. Since, buck fever seldom overcomes me and 1 shot does the trick. Well... that isn't exactly true. Just remembered I put 4 arrows into the last loper I shot. Tough animal. 3 were thru the lungs. I would shoot, he would run a few yards, I would walk up and shoot, he would run again. I thought I was missing all the shots until I finally recovered him and found all the holes.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I 'll be sure to buy a 24 arrow quiver for this season.

Reactions: Riverrat77

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
On second thought............I will invent a high capacity arrow magazine before they are outlawed.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I carry four. Three to six seems to be what most folks carry. I don't see much to get excited about. I limit to four because of weight /balance, and because I'm a minimalist.

·
Registered
650 Posts
AF... you make a good point about weight. I got rid of the bow quiver several years ago just for the weight reason. I use a hip quiver instead. Granted, the best place to keep track of arrows and keep them out of the way of brush is on the bow, but in my mind, I much prefer not having to compensate for the weight difference as I begin to empty the quiver. Finding the perfect hip quiver is key. I believe what I use fits the bill.

·
Senior Goof
3,584 Posts
I 'll be sure to buy a 24 arrow quiver for this season.
I am not sure why this thread bothers you mule, but apparently the issue rubs you the wrong way looking at each reply you have posted.

To the OP, I think this is a valid question. When upgrading your equipment I think putting out a feeler to see if changing what you have done in the past is worth exploring. I personally have a 5. Why? Because it was the best deal that day and was camo.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Doesn't rub me wrong at all. I couldn't give a rip what people carry nor do I care if people think that I should carry more. I have bow hunted for 20 years. I have never needed more than what I carry.

If a guy wants to 3,4,6 or 12 that is their choice. I am more like AF CYN in the fact that I am a minimalist with this type of thing. I would bet that I pass up far more shots than the average Joe as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts