Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why rifle deer hunt after all the complaining everyone does like tons of hunters, road hunters, drinking and hunting, rude people in general, people getting shot, short dates, wheather, and many many many more. I did rifle hunt when i first started because that was what my family did but all that said above was what sent me runnin. the #1 thing that was the worse for me was sitting against a tree and hearing the bullets hitting rocks and trees right behind me. I just want to know why so many people flock to rifle hunting that i don't see. the whole expereince just sounds awful and it is just getting worse. Could someone fill me in on why everyone does it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Mostly tradition. My family always gets together and we go out to the same mountain almost every year to do the rifle hunt(unless we draw some different tags). We have had someone hunt the same are in our family since the 40's. To me, at least the area we hunt, there isn't as much pressure as there used to be.
I think that the real reason why most people rifle hunt is because they normally don't put in enough time (or can't put in enough time) to scout, or do any of the other preperations that one would need to to be successful. Most people couldn't sit and watch a 30" walk by at about 100 yards with a bow. it would drive them nuts so they use a gun and shoot stuff that is 400 ish yards away.
Remember i rifle hunt so I'm not bashing on us rifle hunters. I am looking into getting into the bow hunting scene though. Just waiting to see what my finances will be this year if i can do that or not.(no bow)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Hunting is what you make of it. Those that hunt close to roads do have to put up with the types of annoyances and even dangers that you mention. Others never see another hunter. The overall number of rifle deer hunters in Utah has gone way down over the years, by roughly 2/3 from the early 1990s, so you could make the argument things are better now.

The obvious advantages to a rifle deer hunt are range of the weapon, and a rifle's ability to produce a clean, ethical kill at those long ranges. Season dates can be part of the decision also: Getting a buck with no velvet, wanting to hunt with snow on the ground or after the leaves have fallen, etc. What you choose to encounter in the way of other hunters is entirely up to you. I have a buddy that hunts within a 30-minute drive of downtown Salt Lake City. He hunts an area about 7 miles from the nearest road, and never sees other hunters.

·
Registered
812 Posts
i honestly do not know where everyone is going to run into that many hunters in orange. personally i had to fight off more hunters during the muzzleoader season this year than i did rifle hunters. and everyone i did run into was very polite and freindly. i for one enjoy all three hunts and really do not have a problem with overcrowding like everyone else is saying.

·
Registered
658 Posts
i don't mind the crowds either. for the most part people don't sit long so they will all get up and start hiking around and moving the deer around. That is how i have been able to get my deer. I usuallly get them around 930- to 10 o clock because the deer see a field of orange coming. most deer don't even see me when they are being chased by other hunters. so i get good shots. like the 12ish yarder i had this year

·
Banned
96 Posts
I am getting so tired of people on here talking about how if you hunt with a rifle you are all of a sudden some lower form of hunter.
Like any other hunters are so much better.
I hunt with a rifle I hunt with a muzzleloader and next year I want get into bow hunting.
But my god if there are not some condescending tones towards rifle hunters around here.
On the old forum one time I asked opinions on Utah having a more traditional style muzzy hunt and holy hell I got flamed.
People thought I wanted inlines banned and they jumped to all sorts of conclusions.
Mostly I heard " we are all hunters and need to stick together and there is no sense arguing and letting the ANTI's see us divided."
So here I'll say it.
We are all hunters.
We all have similar interests or we wouldn't be here.
Do not throw me into some beer guzzling irresponsible shooting catagory.
I'm sure I'll hear it for this one so fire away!
(no pun intended)
And this is not directed at any one person.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Dang .54, having a bad day or what? Put the coffee down and slowly back away. :wink:

PRO

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
ScottyP said:
inbowrange said:
Could someone fill me in on why everyone does it.
I recon it's so they can kill a deer with a rifle.
You are wise beyond your ears. :p

PRO

·
Registered
469 Posts
Up until this year I may have jumped on the rifle hunters are bad bandwagon, even though I rifle hunt. I had the opportunity while scouting for Sage grouse to see a new breed of Idiot. -)O(- The Beer guzzling, road hunting bow hunter. :shock: Now at first I had to stop, rub my eyes and look again. Looks like the more popular bow hunting gets; some of those Idiots (that just so happen to rifle hunt) are putting away the rifles and joining the bow hunters. Now I am sure I will be called a liar, that’s fine I can wait until new years opener, head up to Sawtooth national forest and film the festivities, all of the non-believers are welcome too tag along. :mrgreen: My point is that it's the idiots that are the problem and that is solved simply by walking at least 500 yards from the road. The less people rifle hunt the more it will cost everyone else.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
grousehunter said:
My point is that it's the idiots that are the problem ...
+1, idiots are everywhere you go, I think more idiots are found on the rifle hunts simply based on the fact that there are more rifle hunters and a bullet travels much farther than an arrow.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
IT'S TRADITION PASSED DOWN GENERATION TO GENERATION AND IT IS A FIRE THAT BURNS INSIDE OF YOU FOR LIFE. I DON'T LET THE ROTTEN APPLES OF THE BUNCH SPOIL MY FUN AND THEY DEFINENTLY WON'T SPOIL SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN IN MY LIFE FOR AS LONG AS I'VE BEEN ALIVE.
TYPICALLY THERE ARE A LOT OF DRUNK GUYS OUT THERE SHOOTING MUZZELOADERS AND BOWS TO, AND I'VE SEEN PLENTY OF PEOPLE WITH SHOTGUNS IN THERE HANDS THAT WEREN'T QUITE RIGHT EITHER AND YOU KNOW WHAT I REPORT THEM BECAUSE THEY AREN'T GOING TO RUIN HUNTING FOR ME OR THE SPORT IN GENERAL. DURING THE PHEASANT HUNT LAST YEAR I RAN INTO SOME GUYS (HEARD THEM BLOWING THE HECK OUT OF THINGS) AND THEY WERE SHOOTING THE WOODEN FENCE POSTS BLOWING THEM TO PEACES, SHOOTING DIRECTLY AT THE ROAD I COULD, SHOOTING AT RABBITS AND NOT CARING WHERE THERE BARRLES WERE AMED, HOPEFULLY THEY'LL NEVER HAVE A WEAPON IN THERE HAND AGAIN. LONG STORY SHORT THE SHERIFF TOOK CARE OF THEM, AND IF YOU FEEL SOMEONE IS ACTING STUPID OR DOING THINGS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUSE REPORT THEM TO A GAME WARDEN OR SOMEONE AND HAVE THE PROBLEM TAKEN CARE OF SO THEY WILL NOT BE THERE EVER AGAIN TO RUIN YOUR FUN, I DID AND IT FEELS GOOD TO GET THEM OUT OF THE FIELD TO.
AS FOR RIFLE HUNTERS TYPICALLY I DONT THINK .45 WAS HAVING A BAD DAY :lol: I THINK HE IS 100% RIGHT. PEOPLE ALWAYS TRY TO LOWER THE PRIDE OF RIFLE DEER HUNTERS BECAUSE WE GO OUT THERE WITH OUT HIGH POWERED RIFLES AND HAVE IT EASY, YOU KNOW WHAT YOU SOUND LIKE, ACTIVISTS, THEY USE THAT SAME ARGUMENT ON MANY OCCASIONS, SO ARE YOU FOR OR AGAINST HUNTING. WE DON'T HAVE IT ANY EASIER THAN THE REST OF YOU I BOW HUNT, MUZZLELOADER, AND RIFLE. BUT THE KEY TO EVERYTHING IS IT GOES BOW, MUZZ, RIFLE. RIFLE HUNTERS GET THE TAIL END OF THINGS, THE GAME HAS BEEN SPOOKED, CHASED, AND SHOT AT ALREADY BY THE TIME RIFLE HUNTERS GET TO HUNT, SO YA WE DESERVE THE WEAPON WE HAVE IN OUR HAND BECAUSE A RILFE HUNTERS CHALLENGE IS JUST AS HARD AS ANY BOW HUNTERS OR MUZZLELOADER HUNTER, LIKE I SAID THE GAME SCARED. THE BOW HUNTERS HAVE THE LEAST POWERFUL WEAPON SO THEY GO FIRST, THEN THE DEER START TO BECOME A LITTLE MORE SPOOKED, SO WE MOVE UP TO MUZZLELOADER SEASON THE SECOND MOST POWERFUL WEAPON, THE DEER GET EVEN MORE SPOOKED AND HEAR THE SOUND OF A GUNSHOT FIRING AT THEM WHICH CLICKS SOMETHING ON IN THEIR HEADS THAT SAYS UHH-OHH, FINALLY LAST BUT NOT LEAST THE RIFLE HUNTERS GET TO CHASE LAST, THEY GET TO CHASE THE ANIMALS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN SHOT AT, SPOOKED, AND CHASED AND ALREADY KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS (HUNTING SEASON). SO I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT ALL THREE HUNTS HOLD THE SAME AMOUNT OF A CHALLENGE.

YA ALL CAPS AGAIN! _(O)_

·
Registered
351 Posts
#1Deer 1-I, I think you hit many good points there. All three hunts have their advantages and their disadvantages. By the time the deer have been chased around, poked at, shot at by smoke poles, etc, the deer are quite spooky and generally won't stay put long enough for somebody to put the sneak on them and get within 10 or 15 yards.

Personally, I rifle hunt because I don't have a bow or a muzzy. I also don't have the time available during the fall to spend many days in the field trying to sneak up on a nice trophy buck. I have often thought about getting into the muzzy hunting, but let's face it, getting into a new technique of hunting is not cheap. I bought my rifle some 25 years ago when I was young and single. Being married with children kind of puts a cramp on some of the larger purchases that would be needed to get into archery or muzzleloading.

On a side note, 1-I, sorry to see the "all caps" back again. I hope they don't stay. It was nice being able to read regular writing there for a while.

·
Registered
629 Posts
stick_man said:
On a side note, 1-I, sorry to see the "all caps" back again. I hope they don't stay. It was nice being able to read regular writing there for a while.
I'll second that. I don't bother to read long posts that are all caps. I don't know why, but my eyes find it annoying.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
ScottyP said:
inbowrange said:
Could someone fill me in on why everyone does it.
I recon it's so they can kill a deer with a rifle.
:lol: Yeah.... thats a pretty solid conclusion there ScottyP. About the "other hunters" being less of a hunter.... well yeah.... thats a given. :wink: Stir, stir, stir......

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I figure when someone puts down the way I hunt, it must be a statement about their own hunting practices because they don't know mine. As for complaints about any hunt, hey, we make our own hunts. If the hunt sucks, that's your fault. Change your ways.

I love hunting with a rifle. It has a lot to do with tradition and reliving memories. It also has to do with a love of guns, which is probably why I carry a big sidearm even when I'm bowhunting. I intend to fill my tag and a rifle allows me to do that and be highly selective at the same time. I also love the season, especially when the mountain gets nasty.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Finnegan said:
If the hunt sucks, that's your fault. Change your ways.
Finn, hopefully I didn't offend you.... my post was mostly made in jest. I probably would have rifle hunted eventually... I just picked up a bow first. :p

·
Registered
562 Posts
I hunted the rifle hunt for several years. It was tradition so I kept doing it. But I haven't even tried to get a general rifle tag in the last ten years. I think alot of that is my dad started working out of state and wasn't here to go with us so no tradition any more. I still hunt with a rifle if I can draw a late season antlerless tag. But otherwise I spend my time chasing waterfowl.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Riverrat77 said:
Finn, hopefully I didn't offend you.... my post was mostly made in jest.
Not at all, and I understand you. I wasn't necessarily responding to any of the posts here. I was just making a general point. Like everybody else, I'm always hearing complaints about the hunts - all of them. Sometimes I'm the one complaining.

That's why it's sound hunter's policy to blame whatever is wrong on the DWR. :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts