Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I enjoy reading all the stories about peoples success, so I thought that I would share ours. I have grown up hunting and it is the one thing I look forward to every year. My wife grew up in a family that didn't hunt and she did not know much about it. I think she got tired of me always talking to my family about hunting, so out of the blue, she said that she wanted to give it a try.
I took her cow elk hunting 2 years ago and she didn't know what to do when the herd of elk came running in front of us at 75 yards going through the quakies. She said that it was like a scene from "Big Buck Hunter," I was able to get one down from the group and told her that she could sit on a log 50 yards away while I cut the elk up. Well not even 5 minutes later, she is holding the bag looking over my shoulder telling me, "To make sure that I get that piece of meat, because it looks good, ooh and that one too, etc."
Last year I convinced her to pack in 4 miles with me for an elk hunt. She got really bad blisters on the hike in and didn't complain at all. She was up every morning with me ready to hunt.
This year she got her first deer tag. I surprised her by putting a scope on her grandma's 6mm that I inherited when her grandma passed away, because no one in her family hunts.
We started the morning going into our area that we have done a lot of scouting on. We were in position while it was still dark. As the morning sky started to turn dark grey, but still 15 minutes till shooting light, I spotted a buck bedded down about 225 yards away from us. I could tell that he was a shooter buck, and suggested that we move a little bit to get in a better spot for a shot. We crawled around a small knoll that had some sagebrush around it and got her shooting sticks ready. After about 3 minutes the buck decided it was time to get up. He stood up and as he turned broad side, a 2 point and a doe appeared behind him. She waited for them to clear, and then he walked behind a small knoll disappearing for a few seconds. After he reemerged, she took a great shot at 160 yards with her grandma's 6mm and you could her the bullet smack and watch the bucks front end crumple. He only went about 20 yards before taking his last dirt nap. It was neat to be able to share this experience with her, but even better that my 7 year old son was with us and my cousin who films hunting in the midwest, was able to film the entire thing as it unfolded. I am extremely proud of her and I know that her grandma is too.

Sorry about the small pics, I am struggling trying to get them to download any bigger.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
That is a great deer. Huge congrats to your wife and to you for helping her out along the way. This gives me hope, as my wife has finally agreed to "give it a shot" after tagging along with me and my son on his first hunt. Great job!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Very nice buck..:!:..

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Great deer congrats to the Mrs.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Awesome! My wife has agreed to complete hunters education with my 11-year old son this fall. Congrats on the great buck!

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Great buck! Thanks for sharing!

·
Administrator
21,352 Posts
Wow, nice first buck. She's ruined now! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts