Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was able to bag her first big game animal last week. She missed a 2 point on the ml deer hunt so I was hoping to get it done on her cow elk hunt. Last week we went up to a local cwmu where she drew her tag. The first morning we went to a spot where my brother filled his tag last year the first morning and ran into a whole ton of sheep. So we decided to go sit on a pond that my other brother filled his tag last year. We got to the pond at about 10:30am so I wasn't expecting to see too much. After an hour we had a dozen turkey come down to get a drink. About a half hour later a nice bull moose decided to come in. He stayed around for about a half an hour. It was a great sight being only 55 yards away. Right before 2pm I noticed an elk trotting through the trees down to the pond. I got my wifes attention and pointed it out. A cow and a calf came in 60 yards away. Unfortunately they were head on to my wife so she couldn't get a shot off. She really wanted to calf but couldn't get a good angle on it. They both took off and we missed the opportunity. Frustrated that she didn't get an opportunity to shoot. Where I happended to be was a perfect angle and I could have had several chances. After that frustration things got fun again. We had 3 pairs of does come in at 15 years from us. Next we had a nice 6x6 bull elk come in with a spike and small 3x3 bull. Awesome sight at 60 yards! We were wishing we had a bull tag! And of course he presented my wife for perfect shot opportunities!! Maybe next year :) About an hour before dark we had a 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4 bucks come for a drink. It was apparent that they were getting close to the rut since the 4x4 kept chasing the 2x2 off and wouldn't let him get a drink. It was fun to watch them chase eachother off. After dark while we were driving back to camp we had two 4x4 bucks run infront of us. So it was a fun filled day with some amaing animals.

The next morning we went straight to the pond again. First thing we had a doe and 2 fawns come in. About 10 minutes later we had 8 more does come in to the pond as well. Right before 11am my wife grabbed her gun and got really still. We had a cow elk coming in below us. We got ready for a shot. Then there was a calf, then more. 6 elk came in to the pond, a spike, 4 cows, and a calf. So I thought awesome a chance at a calf for her. Well of course they didn't comply again. The cow ended up right behind the calf while they drank. To make things better the other elk huddled around them as well so they didn't present a shot again, this time at 35 yards away! I couldn't believe it! We weren't going to get a shot again! Then when I thought they were going to leave leaving us frustrated again one cow separated itself from the others and turned broadside for my wife. She ended up having a small shooting window because it stopped right behind two trees. She shot and they all took off. I kept my eye on the cow and it looked like it wasn't running very good so I started getting excited. Then my wife said she thought she missed and kept saying it over and over again. So my confidence fell(in my mind I was thinking how can you miss at 35 yards). We got down to the spot where the cow was and couldn't find any blood. We went in the direction they went and my wife found a little blood. It wasn't much but it relieved me, we had something to go off of, but it didn't look too promising. We went back to our stuff and packed some things for a long trip to try and find the cow. We went back down to where the blood was and started tracking. 35 yards away from where she shot it we found it down!! She was so excited. Perfect shot, couldn't be better. While we were quartering it up to pack out I stood up and there was a 5x5 bull elk 40 yards away looking at us. Once we finished cutting it up we went back to out things and had some lunch. While we were eating we had 3 more bucks come in, a 2x2 and two 4x4's. We then packed it out to the atvs and headed home. What an amazing hunt and great animals! The only downside was that we forgot the camera!!!! My wife normally takes her camera everywhere she goes and takes about 1000 pics but she forgot it this time. We could have had some amazing pics of the animals we saw. But we only had our phones.... Wonderful trip and experience for my wife. She was so excited and proud. I am as well :) She can't wait to do it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She shot a Browning 270 wsm. It was my grandpa's deer rifle that I inherited when he passed away. Great gun and blast to shoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts