Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Registered
The main problem with shrugging it off is it can & will be used against the community. Poaching & wanton waste are problematic across the board, not just when it's desired game. That's true if for no other reason than it brings unwanted attention to our sport and the areas we use. That's especially true as this involves federal investigation, not a state CO.

I don't think any of us want more national attention in SE Utah. The headlines write themselves.

Registered
I don't really agree with the way this happened, but it seems like there isn't any movement to do anything with some of these horses. There's a growing herd of feral horses on the west side of the Stansbury Mountains that just continues to grow each year. The state knows about it but their hands are apparently tied. These horses belong, or once belonged to the Skull Valley Reservation. I am not sure how they got out. I assume they were either let out because of the cost to feed, or lack of fencing maintenance. Knowing they've got a large herd of buffalo to manage, I would expect that they likely let them out.

A couple of observations over the years. First, 5-6 years ago, I would see maybe one herd of 10-12 horses. These horses would actually approach you and get close as they seemed relatively tame. Now fast forward to 2022, and I am seeing 7-8 herds of horses ranging from 15-16 in a herd to one I counted over 30 horses. Most herds are right around 20 horses. And it continues to grow each year. Now, the horses don't come anywhere near you. I've noticed they bail when they see you from 600-700 yards away.

Second observation is that as I've seen the horse herds grow, I've also observed the deer herds decline. Or maybe rather they've left and went elsewhere. Where it was once lush, and prime habitat for deer, it's been grazed down to the root, and it even looks like in some spots the springs are struggling as they are so exposed. The drought has no doubt impacted this as well. Where the deer have spent much of the winters, they are harder to find now in those same spots in the winter as the horses have taken hold of these grounds. I am assuming they are pretty aggressive toward the other native critters.

Either way, my guess is some folks got tired of the inaction by the BLM and government. Doesn't make it right by any means. And I won't be doing that out in Skull Valley, but something seriously needs to be done about the feral horses out there.

Administrator
OMG. Wild horses ain't worth a thing. Go shoot them and get it over with! Now watch me get beat up for saying it.......
Yeah.

Back when the UWN was owned and operated by the Utah DNR, and it was a political forum disguised as an outdoor forum, a lively thread about hunting wild horses developed.

Jeepers, there was all manner of cowboys, cowgirls, anti-hunters, horse-lovin individuals joining the forum. I said something to the effect that horse made great summer sausage and got a number of death threats.

Boy, those were the days. :rolleyes:

Registered
What animals are considered acceptable food in each country/region is such an interesting subject.

With horse meat, isn't part of the concern in the US the potential presence of drugs in the meat? I didn't grow up with them nor do I fully understand how meat gets tainted in such a fashion but it's what I've read in the past.

Registered
With horse meat, isn't part of the concern in the US the potential presence of drugs in the meat? I didn't grow up with them nor do I fully understand how meat gets tainted in such a fashion but it's what I've read in the past.
The horsemeat I consumed was not in the United States. The USDA has regulations on any domestic meat, including horse, on how long a medication can be given before slaughter. (Called withdrawal times). Unless there are willful violations, drug residue in horse is not a greater concern than it would be for beef, pork or chicken.

Speaking hypothetically only, feral horses from the range would not be likely to be given restricted medications recently.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The problem with eating horse meat is the wild horse lovers of the US. There is a romantic notion that people have with them until it comes time to come up with money to take care of them, and if those people had their way the herds would number in the thousands.

One thing that I have read is that a large problem is horse owners taking their elderly horses out onto the range and turning them loose to live the free life with other horses.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Administrator
I have to be circumspect what I say here, but I have had horsemeat several times and it was very flavorful, albeit a bit tough. How does it do in a summer sausage?
Great summer sausage. I didn't make it though, someone else did.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts