Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hunt pigs out of state? I'm curious what it would cost to put together a hunt for me and my 14 (soon to be 15) year old boy. I know there are states with huge pig problems, are landowners welcoming to hunters and let them hunt free or is it all fee based for hunts?

-DallanC

·
Administrator
11,331 Posts
I have watched Heli-Hunter on TV a few times and if I had the funds to do it I would be all over it, it looks like it would be a riot.

Other than that most landowners will charge you to hunt pigs on their property even though the pigs are destroying their land. From what I have found you can get a hunt from $300+ a day per hunter and a few of them will charge you to clean and skin your hog depending on weight.

It's just finding the right property or outfitter down in Texas.

I had a friend that was setting up hunts in eastern New Mexico but I am not sure if he is still doing it anymore. His hunts cost $900 but included a mount of the head. When I was going to do it I was going to use the head to scare away evil spirits in my garage.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Dallan, you can do it for a lot less than $300/day access fee in parts of Texas. if you go to accuratereloading forums and look up Crazyhorseconsulting. He does pig hunts near Wichita Falls for really reasonable rates. I've never hunted with him, full disclosure, but there are lots of positive hunt reports with him there.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well there used to be russian boars that ran down in the Virgin River gorge, but I dont know of anything recently. There was that news article recently about the wild pigs running around Orem... dont think you could quite get away with that.

-DallanC

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Anyone hunt pigs out of state? I'm curious what it would cost to put together a hunt for me and my 14 (soon to be 15) year old boy. I know there are states with huge pig problems, are landowners welcoming to hunters and let them hunt free or is it all fee based for hunts?

-DallanC
I could probably line you up with some of the farmers here on this story. It's about 1500 mile drive one way...gas is cheap now and you can bring back whatever you want if you drive. Pretty cheap to stay down there too. I don't know if you need a hunting license or not.

http://avoyellestoday.com/news-​agriculture-outdoor/wild-hogs-going-hog-wild-avoyelles

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Dallan,

PM me if you want info on a public land DIY option in California. It's about a 10 hour drive from Utah to some really cool country to hunt and camp near the city of Red Bluff in northern Tehama County. This hunt can be combined with a fall blacktail deer or a spring wild turkey hunt depending on when you want to go.------SS

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
It is the international cochon de lait festival held every year in the community next to my hometown. The town it's in is about 2,000-3,000 people and in the 70's the festival was drawing 100,000 party goers....seriously amazing pig to say the least. Any REAL cajun has their own cochon de lait set up at home and cooks 2-3 per year. We usually had one for Thanksgiving, one for Christmas and at least two during the summer for family reunions. Our camp on the bayou had a way cool set up with an actual brick chimney, large pavilion with sides that could open up or close down depending on weather and electric turner to turn the pig slowly while you just sat, chatted and had your favorite beverage until it was done. Usually a fight breaks out over the skin which is cooked to a crispy crackly finish...YUM

·
Administrator
21,964 Posts
It is the international cochon de lait festival held every year in the community next to my hometown. The town it's in is about 2,000-3,000 people and in the 70's the festival was drawing 100,000 party goers....seriously amazing pig to say the least. Any REAL cajun has their own cochon de lait set up at home and cooks 2-3 per year. We usually had one for Thanksgiving, one for Christmas and at least two during the summer for family reunions. Our camp on the bayou had a way cool set up with an actual brick chimney, large pavilion with sides that could open up or close down depending on weather and electric turner to turn the pig slowly while you just sat, chatted and had your favorite beverage until it was done. Usually a fight breaks out over the skin which is cooked to a crispy crackly finish...YUM
Wow! Is that pecan smoke I smell?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.