Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the Wildlife Board meeting and it when pretty good for the most part.

The Draw Loc was passed!!!
If you put in for a management tags and you draw then you lose your points and you have a 5 year waiting period :D
Bart can tell you about his proposal.
Bookcliffs buffalo passed after a very loooooonnnnnnnnnnngggggg discussion.
Oak Creek will remain a LE unit.
Dolores Triangle hunt will start later because the deer migrate from Colorado later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you heard anything about the cost increases this year I've heard that LE elk tags for residents will now be $408? Is this true?

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the prices are the same

Here is more info on the management tags.

54 bulls killed had their horns broken meaning they were bigger than 5 points on one side so they werent true management bulls

3 bulls were TRUE management bulls

1 illegal killed bull

The management tags wont work because we clearly arent killing management bulls.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Touching on a few of the items passed:

1. Keep the five day rifle hunt in the Southern and Southeast region general deer hunts.

2. Keep the Oak Creek limited entry elk unit

3. Keep the Thousand Lake Mountain deer unit, limited

4. Extend the Dolores Triangle deer hunt into the first of December

5. Change the management elk tag, if you now draw a management bull tag, you lose your bonus points.

6. Start the general archery elk unit early, and close it 5 days sooner, thus giving the Trophy bull archers five days without cow and spike hunters in the field.

7. Continue to look at unit by unit deer hunting during 2008, and a year from now make recommendations for the 2009 season.

It was a long day, started at 9:00 am and got over around 5:30 pm. Thanks to those who SHOWED UP, coyoteslayer, treehugnhntr, and Packout, kudos to you for showing up. coyoteslayer was late because a lady ran a red light and hit him on his way in, luckily he was not hurt and STILL showed up!

They also will be starting a new bison herd on the book cliffs with a end goal of 450 animals. The things I was happy to see were the management tags now being a 'true' LE type tag, as was mentioned there were 54 bulls killed on this hunt with only three being 'management' bulls, the changes to the dates for LE archery hunters on spike only units, keeping Filmore Oak Creek LE, and keeping Thousand Lakes LE.

PRO

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
coyoteslayer said:
No, the prices are the same

Here is more info on the management tags.

54 bulls killed had their horns broken meaning they were bigger than 5 points on one side so they werent true management bulls

3 bulls were TRUE management bulls

1 illegal killed bull

The management tags wont work because we clearly arent killing management bulls.
I am just curious, do you mean that people broke the antlers off because they were bigger than a five point or did you mean something else. I am confused and this is an honest question from a dumb a**. :oops:

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am just curious, do you mean that people broke the antlers off because they were bigger than a five point or did you mean something else. I am confused and this is an honest question from a dumb a**.
Well more than likely from fighting other bulls, but you never know maybe someone broke the antler points after they shot him.

·
Registered
200 Posts
coyoteslayer said:
A "true management bull" would be a bull thats death has an impact on the high bull to cow ratios in these units.

It will be interesting to see if the 54 bulls killed have any significant impact on those ratios. I'm guessing that it didn't even make a dent.

John

·
Registered
876 Posts
I knew the management idea wouldn't work from the beginning. A great idea, just poorly planned and executed.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A "true management bull" would be a bull thats death has an impact on the high bull to cow ratios in these units.
Killing those bulls will have a little impact on the bull/cow ratios. but the point is.....The management tags only allow you to kill a bull that has 5 point on one side PERIOD. 54 bulls didnt meet those requirments. ONLY 3 did.

·
Registered
348 Posts
proutdoors said:
They also will be starting a new bison herd on the book cliffs with a end goal of 450 animals.
Now that makes me very, very happy!!! In 40 or 50 years, I may even get to shoot one!!! :D

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
J-bass you can always go to Montana and shoot one fair prices.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
proutdoors said:
1. Keep the five day rifle hunt in the Southern and Southeast region general deer hunts.

I was disappointed that the above three things didn't change...I guess it just goes to show that NOT everything the DWR proposes is passed (I hear that argument on the fishing forums all the time).

I was also mildly disappointed that the archery elk hunt season date will be changed...as a bowhunter it is nice to have overlapping seasons, BUT I would rather have that one week of just deer hunting (I like using those extra days to find the cows/spikes for the elk hunt) at the beginning and not the end.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was also mildly disappointed that the archery elk hunt season date will be changed...as a bowhunter it is nice to have overlapping seasons, BUT I would rather have that one week of just deer hunting (I like using those extra days to find the cows/spikes for the elk hunt) at the beginning and not the end.
You will still be able to hunt them just fine and harvest one when you are deer hunting so its a great idea. Im glad it passed because most important it also helps those lucky archery hunters who have drawn a LE archery tag.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

These two would be a nightmare if they were passed because guess where most of the hunters would be opening day???

There is no reason to change it when the DEER PLAN will be written next year.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
That's ok...wouldn't that alleviate some pressure from other areas then?

The Thousand Lakes deer unit just isn't a good LE unit...the trophy potential has proven to be minimal.

The Oak Creek Elk unit--although it holds some good elk--is pretty small and would make a good general season unit. Which would allow more mature bull hunting opportunity. :wink:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
coyoteslayer said:
There is no reason to change it when the DEER PLAN will be written next year.
Maybe in the long run, but we would lose 4 days next year...which seems totally unnecessary based on the data given at the RACs. And, that is just one more year when more deer will probably be shot than what it would have been...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Concerning the management of deer and the 5 or 10 day long seasons, What was the general temperment of the board. Were they against the idea? or did they just not want to make any change now when the plan will be re-evaluated next year?

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe in the long run, but we would lose 4 days next year...which seems totally unnecessary based on the data given at the RACs. And, that is just one more year when more deer will probably be shot than what it would have been...
Yeah 1/2 of a day difference.

The Oak Creek Elk unit--although it holds some good elk--is pretty small and would make a good general season unit. Which would allow more mature bull hunting opportunity. :wink:
They should issue more tags then. The landowners didnt want to deal with people tresspassing so keeping the hunters limited makes it easier to deal with than 1,000 of hunters.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts