1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lure #1 was this with a full crawler attached:
20210527_144012.jpg

It caught these 2 fish:

Lure #2 was this:

It caught this fish:

The catfish and the walleye were invited home for dinner and both accepted the invitation. 馃槈

Attachments

Registered
nice good going

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great job! How did you prepare the fish?
Breaded the catfish fillets tonight with Zatarains fish coating and baked and served with corn & Bush's Grillin Beans. We'll do the walleye tomorrow night coated with panko and baked and will have them with some french fries & green beans. Sunday will be some sous vide brisket. Life is good.

Registered
Nice going bob!! Was pretty decent out there today. Glad to see someone鈥檚 getting the wipers, they been kicking my butt!! I鈥檝e been able to lay the hammer on the eyes and cats but those silver buggers been telling me to pound sand.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice going bob!! Was pretty decent out there today. Glad to see someone鈥檚 getting the wipers, they been kicking my butt!! I鈥檝e been able to lay the hammer on the eyes and cats but those silver buggers been telling me to pound sand.
One thing I've found works for wipers is to keep your trolling speed up over 2 mph. I generally run about 2.5. However, for walleye you'll probably do better at 1.5 mph or less. Bottom bouncing at around 1 mph works well for me. Catfish are caught almost every time I fish Willard regardless of trolling speed. Shad type lures trolled between 2 & 3 mph have produced lots of wiper success for me over the years.

Reactions: utahbigbull

Registered
One thing I've found works for wipers is to keep your trolling speed up over 2 mph. I generally run about 2.5. However, for walleye you'll probably do better at 1.5 mph or less. Bottom bouncing at around 1 mph works well for me. Catfish are caught almost every time I fish Willard regardless of trolling speed. Shad type lures trolled between 2 & 3 mph have produced lots of wiper success for me over the years.
Thanks bob. Do you pull your crawler harnesses that fast (2-3mph)? I had been doing cranks that fast up until a couple weeks ago. Then the cranks seemed to turn off so I switched to harnesses and yeah, been running those around 1.2 mph.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks bob. Do you pull your crawler harnesses that fast (2-3mph)? I had been doing cranks that fast up until a couple weeks ago. Then the cranks seemed to turn off so I switched to harnesses and yeah, been running those around 1.2 mph.
I was trolling at around 2.2/2.3 with both those lures and caught the wiper and the walleye on that harness. I ran both lures off downriggers and was within 2 feet of the bottom on both. When I use bottom bouncer weights, I use the electric motor only and keep the speed close to 1 mph.

Registered
I was trolling at around 2.2/2.3 with both those lures and caught the wiper and the walleye on that harness. I ran both lures off downriggers and was within 2 feet of the bottom on both. When I use bottom bouncer weights, I use the electric motor only and keep the speed close to 1 mph.
Thanks Bob! I鈥檒l have to increase my inline weight and kick up the speed. Never pulled harness rigs till this year and didn鈥檛 think they would hold up at that 2.5 range.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Bob! I鈥檒l have to increase my inline weight and kick up the speed. Never pulled harness rigs till this year and didn鈥檛 think they would hold up at that 2.5 range.
You will be hard pressed to add enough line weights to get your harness near the bottom at those speeds. But you can get them down a lot easier with Dipsey Divers if you don't have downriggers. Here is a link to the Dipsey Diver Depth Chart

1 - 11 of 11 Posts