Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what point do y'all cancel or end a trip?

I use to be able to be picky because my life was flexible, not so much anymore. Years past I would bail if it was forecast to be continuous over 15 mph, or gusts over 25. Wind grates at me and I was normally in a small pontoon or tube.

Sadly that means bailing a lot now during spring in southern utah. Do folks have much experience shore fishing in bigger wind? I really have limited time now and might have to tough out some rougher conditions. Or get a boat and start trolling 馃榿

Registered
Strong winds suck when fishing, a little chop on the water is the best IMO. Flat water I don't care for either. Even in a boat, depending on the size and the location it can make it difficult to keep it strait when trolling. The wind can move you around and mess with your desired speed. Utah Lake is one water that if it even looks like a storm is coming, I get the he!! off as soon as I can.

I stayed out to long one trip on Bird Island (cats were hitting hard and fast) and a storm blew in from the North and in a matter of minutes it was white capping. I thought I was going to swamp the boat getting back to Lincoln Beach. I had waves ponding over the bow in a 22' boat. Made it in, trailered the boat and noticed my keel was scratched bad. Yup, I was hitting the mud bottom almost every time I would roll in the bottom of a wave. All four of us on board were soaked from head to toe. Not a fun trip!!

Registered
I don't know the actual speed of the wind, but I stop fishing when the waves start white capping. I would guess that is somewhere between 5 and 10 mph. Above that break point, my 21 foot ThunderJet boat is just to hard to control for speed and direction. Especially so when fishing solo.

Administrator
Use to walk the bank and slip bobber fish a lot. Used custom "long n limber" fishing rods made from 9 wt fly rods, 2 pc blanks, 6" cut off the top and the bottom.

The windier the better for slip bobber fishing...you can cover lot of water. My experience has been that fish come closer to the shore when the waves are hammering the bank. Especially true for largemouth, walleye and lake trout.

Super Moderator
Anymore I fish if I am comfortable. If it gets cold or windy enough I'll pack it up.

But as Goob says using a slip bobber on a cane pole that allows the bait to bounce up and down can be a great way to catch fish as long as you don't mind the wind.

Registered
White caps happen on big water with sustained winds of 15 mph - no big deal. Sustained winds of 25 - 30 mph with gusts up to 40 will start to produce 2 - 3 foot swells. If you have a Hot Foot on your boat and time the waves, no big deal there either.

I chicken out when the fish quit biting or can't keep the boat in one spot.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on the body of water and type of fishing. I know, super helpful! :ROFLMAO:
I'm realizing how much primarily fly fishing for a decade informed my strategy.

Tossing lures and bait from the shore 鈮 fly fishing.

Heavy winds always sucks (except with kayak sail, that is pure joy) but I can unlearn my fly fishing frustrations to get more time outside.

Registered
I'm realizing how much primarily fly fishing for a decade informed my strategy.

Tossing lures and bait from the shore 鈮 fly fishing.
Don鈥檛 neglect a fly and bubble setup. A water bobber, completely filled, with a bugger about 2.5-3 feet behind it and retrieved slowly is effective. That is especially true at ice off fishing from the shore. (But catches fish all year, of course.)

This is why I say depends. Fly fishing, the wind makes things miserable very quickly.

Registered
I have had some fantastic days fishing in high winds this time of year. I like fishing the windward, or facing into the wind side of the lake, and make quartering casts with my fly pole. There is a large difference in water temps this time of year. The warmer water at the surface stacks up on the windward side of the lake along with prey that is being moved in the direction of the wind. Fish are active in this area because of the warmer temps any the wave action also gives them cover from predators from above. Shorter and thicker leaders help immensely for a number of reasons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts