Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it shaping up elsewhere in Utah? Way too early to judge snowpack but the cold & snow are coming in waves down here. Will be interesting to see if warm back up in Cedar after this next storm. We normally have a mild spell between the snow around Halloween and then Thanksgiving; but this year seems to want to be colder and more precip than we've experienced in a while.

Not ready for snow again myself but it will be what it will be and our area and soils could use whatever we can get.

· Registered
1,847 Posts
I live at 8,000 ft (Summit county) where we've had 11" of snow so far. We could see some wicked weather this week (a month earlier than last year) and I'm not ready for it. But on the bright side, I still have a couple archery tags to fill and a few good storms will make a big difference on the extended hunt.

NWS doesn't know whether to scratch their watches or wind their butts this year with so many variables in play.

On the one hand, we absolutely must have at least an average snow pack this year or there's going to be some serious consequences next summer. On the other hand, we had a bumper crop of fawns last spring and I'd hate to lose them to a hard winter.

Reactions: backcountry

· Registered
3,582 Posts
I have high hopes, but the predictions don't sound very good. What I'm hearing from the news and weather people is another la nina year which means a similar winter to the last two which pretty much sucked. We had some really good storm opening weekend of the rifle deer hunt, but we need that to continue consistently over the next several months. Will it happen? Who knows? They are calling for storm today, tomorrow and the next day.

Edit: I just looked at the weather again and it looks like today is just supposed to be windy, tomorrow there is a 40% chance of frozen mix, then the next day is just clear and cold.

· Registered
4,722 Posts
Edit: I just looked at the weather again and it looks like today is just supposed to be windy, tomorrow there is a 40% chance of frozen mix, then the next day is just clear and cold.
My app is saying 1" of snow Wed (80%), 2" snow on Thursday (77%), then another storm on Monday (7th).

This is already better than last year. We had 1 storm in October -- then I can't remember another storm the rest of the winter.

Reactions: backcountry

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My app is saying 1" of snow Wed (80%), 2" snow on Thursday (77%), then another storm on Monday (7th).

This is already better than last year. We had 1 storm in October -- then I can't remember another storm the rest of the winter.
There back to back storms are promising. Hopefully the wind dies down tomorrow and doesn't blow all the moisture to Kansas like happened last year. But this November is looking to be one of the coldest and snowiest we've had in a while. I've gotten use to mild Novembers here and getting in some last hoorahs but I'll figure out something else if this sticks around.

· Registered
4,351 Posts
I'd really like to see a winter that I remember as a teen kid. Don't know the year, but it snowed something like 18" in the valley overnight. (70's) Back to back storms are the ticket! If we could get storms to put down 1-2' of snow three times a week in the mountains, and NOT warm up, we'd be on the way to a better water year.

Did it always snow more when we were kids, or were we just smaller and it seemed to be deep snow?

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Updated forecast for Cedar is between 4-9" of snow from 5ish tonight to tomorrow afternoon. I'm not sure I prepped our backyard enough 😲.

My wife might be unhappy if I don't get this gazebo built. I'll have to fall back on getting Covid from our trip to CA (2 times in 3 months, this new issue with immune escape is no joke).

Granted, that project is better than the poor folks trying to get their roof on today (few homes around town).

My friends muzzie bull and cow hunts are going to be interesting this year.

· Registered
4,722 Posts
I'm supposed to go to the Utes game Saturday with my daughter -- but the weather for Saturday in SLC looks terrible. Ugh.

· Registered
4,722 Posts
Ready or not, here it comes! Looks like another round Mon - Wed next week.

(I'm loving the pellet burner so far!!)

Reactions: Catherder

· Registered
4,722 Posts
not much sitting on the ground -- a couple inches. But most of it was really wet, and just melting. Snotel is showing up at Midway that we started(11/2) at 7", up to 15", then to 20", then fell back to 17" (11/4) on the ground. So ~5 - 13" inches accummulation on the mountain.

This paints a nice picture:
Map World Font Slope Rectangle

· Registered
2,661 Posts
I just measured in my yard here in town.
Got 6" on both the north and west face sides.
Ended up at 5" on the east and south face sides.
Had good moisture in it as well.

I'm afraid that this ends the cabin season this year. 😢
I've always said that Nov 4th is the average last access, pretty much nailed it this year.

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I just measured in my yard here in town.
Got 6" on both the north and west face sides.
Ended up at 5" on the east and south face sides.
Had good moisture in it as well.

I'm afraid that this ends the cabin season this year. 😢
I've always said that Nov 4th is the average last access, pretty much nailed it this year.
These last few warm autumns (and winters) spoiled me. Glad to see the moisture but was a shock to the system not have more time to play & get stuff done.

At this point I'm hoping the temperatures stay low and the lakes freeze over a few weeks earlier than last year.

Plus, if it stays cold than the snow at middle to high elevation should insulate everything enough to keep more moisture in the soil. Anything to help our groundwater and springs at this point is good news.

*We seem to have ~ 4" at my place. Cedar has so many little microclimates.

· Administrator
11,598 Posts

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, they got dumped on and it's been cold enough they can make snow. Hopefully it stays cold enough to maintain the base. They have a history of trying to open early and running into issues.

I've always been jealous of those who have rock skis to bomb down runs like that with such a thin base. My quiver is limited and no way I'm dropping lines like that in November.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts