Utah Wildlife Forum banner
101 - 120 of 154 Posts

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Been a good wet few days down here. Looks like our normal warm period the first week of January will not happen this year.

Per trends, folks should look up the forecasts for Powell and Mead. Not great for most probable outcomes even with moisture forecasted this year. And the minimal forecast is frightening. The water needed to make a dent in those reservoir deficits is just mind boggling.

· Administrator
11,598 Posts
I'll go back to the drought that Utah was in back in the 70's and early 80's. They were saying that it would take 30 years to get back to normal reservoir levels. Then came the winter of 82=83.

But even with a winter and runoff like that year it will take a while for Powell and Mead to get back to where the bath tub ring is gone.

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
You can't count on or count our Black Swan events like the 82/83 season. You just deal with them when they happen. (And I'm not sure we would even want one again given how much it stressed everything man made for months).

But we do know we are in uncharted territory for these dams and reservoirs. We do have 40 more years of data since then and it's not promising. We also have millions of more people dependent on our scarce water in the upper basin states which affects just about every aspect of the equation.

Science currently can't and never likely will be able to project these types of future scenarios. And, it's the best tool we have. Sadly the information we have and the projections we are seeing aren't friendly to the lifestyles we've grown use to in the region. That's true from recreation in the Glen Canyon area (including the loss of sand beaches in the Grand Canyon) to water policy in our states.

I think we are all begging for every inch of moisture these storms will provide in the years to come. And it's unlikely to be enough or follow the historical patterns others are mentioning.

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Per projections, here is one synopsis. This is the data BoR and states will use to define water policy. And that's before we take into account the currently unknown and unprecedented action the federal government is likely to take to preserve the integrity of the entire CO River system in the coming months and years.

· Registered
3,810 Posts
Lake Powell at full capacity stores 25,166,000 acre feet of water. It currently stands at roughly 553,316 acre feet just 22% of capacity. It reached full pool for the first time in 1980 and the decline started roughly 1985. It will certainly take some wetter years for quite awhile to bring it back to full pool.

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Lake Powell at full capacity stores 25,166,000 acre feet of water. It currently stands at roughly 553,316 acre feet just 22% of capacity. It reached full pool for the first time in 1980 and the decline started roughly 1985. It will certainly take some wetter years for quite awhile to bring it back to full pool.
Have you or anyone else seen estimates on the estimated full pool capacity given the amount of sediment load the last 40+ years? It's often mentioned but I don't think I've seen a figure yet.

· Registered
3,810 Posts

"The paper found that Lake Powell lost 6.8% of its storage capacity between 1963 and 2018 due to the sediment that had been deposited in the reservoir bed, but the vast majority of the sediment was trapped in the far upstream reaches of the reservoir."

· Premium Member
3,701 Posts
Went up to the ranch yesterday to check it out, looks better than last year but could still use a couple of feet more, but that would delay the start of the cabin construction.

Tire Snow Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire
Sky Snow Plant Nature Natural landscape

· Premium Member
3,701 Posts
I'm loving the trax on the enclosed side by side. Bowgy, can we become friends? Family?
Sure, johnnycake won't adopt me so I need some family.:p

I bought it for my wife and she loves it, I almost fell over when she said she was too hot and to turn off the heater.:cool:

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Interesting article on KSL today comparing snowpack up to this point over the years. Definitely lots of moisture to be excited about. Fingers crossed we see at least a slow addition until the end of March or continued dumps like we just saw. Heck, let's hope that spring temperatures are mild and the snowpack lingers into the summer. I'll take refilling the reservoirs alongside a delayed start to the fire season.

Jealous of everyone who has a resort pass this year. I think I need the clean up my outdated telemark setup and take my daughter up the hill one day (if we can ever get out of this blasted toddler illness cycle).

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Phenomenal numbers. This can only help our fisheries. Fingers crossed it's a spring with mild temperatures and this snowpack lingers to help our aquifers and soil moisture. I'll take ice fishing the epic slush monster if it means more water in our state (and good gracious Fishlake was miserable this last weekend).

Map World Font Slope Rectangle

· Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
The ones on the Virgin River & Santa Clara?

I might have to get out on our ducky again and paddle the Virgin. Last time I was down in the gorge below Bloomington I was almost taken out by the Russian Olive as it has overgrown the river after years of low flows. Other than that and the low head dam it was a fun run 😬🤪

· Registered
3,582 Posts
The ones on the Virgin River & Santa Clara?

I might have to get out on our ducky again and paddle the Virgin. Last time I was down in the gorge below Bloomington I was almost taken out by the Russian Olive as it has overgrown the river after years of low flows. Other than that and the low head dam it was a fun run 😬🤪
Yep. I just remember the footage of a house just floating away. Hopefully we do get a gradual thaw like you said to bring it all down slowly.

101 - 120 of 154 Posts