Utah Wildlife Forum banner
141 - 154 of 154 Posts

· Registered
2,661 Posts
We rode up to Rob's cabin yesterday. There is a lot more snow than last time we went. It's getting a little spooky to go in with the SxS. May have to start using the snow machines.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that we saw a little herd of elk on the way up. 1 small bull and 10 or 12 cows/calves. They were up a lot higher than I expected. There was quite a bit of snow at that elevation. I figured they would be lower.

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
You CAN get trax stuck in deep snow if you end up high centered. We were dragging frame a good part of the way. And if you do get buried it’s a bugger getting out. Do have a winch and a good shovel, just in case. haven’t been stuck……yet. Just makes me nervous 😬
I do know a couple of people that have been stuck. Wasn’t fun for them.
My little snow machine I can get out fairly easy most of the time.
It does amaze me where and what the track can go in/on. Have been very impressed.

· Premium Member
3,701 Posts
Yeah it would not be good to get one stuck, I am more careful when I have the tracks on.

One example is when I'm climbing and the tracks start to spin I back it up and hit it several times so I don't bury the tracks and high center.

Reactions: 2full

· Administrator
11,598 Posts
Back when I was working in Price we took care of the phone line to Soldier Summit and the line ran over the hill to the south. One winter day I dropped into a draw with a snowcat and as soon as I started down I knew that I was in trouble.

It took quite a while of me digging a ramp to get up on top of the snow only to break through and down. I would then back up and build another ramp trying to get back up on top of the snow. This went on for around 50 yards before we got out. I suggested to the boss that we needed a winch for the snowcat but he refused.

A year after I moved to Colorado there was a winch on that snowcat.

· Registered
3,582 Posts
A facebook friend of mine posted a nice snow photo of Smith Flat (north of Kolob Reservoir aways for the yankees in the group) from around this time in 2019 when we had our last real winter. He says there is even a little bit more snow now. But I remember in 2019 those storms just kept coming and coming and coming well into May. I wonder if it will do that again this year.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts