Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to throw this out there and see if there is any interest.

I would like to get a fly swap started, since the fly fishing season has slowed down some.

This will be called the "Winter Fly" Swap. Basically the fly should be one of your favorite patterns that you would use during the winter months. Being a midge pattern or a large wet fly of some sort, it doesn't matter.

The deadline for this will be January 30th, 2008. So if you are getting a fly tying kit for Christmas, you can still join!

It does not matter if you are an advanced fly tier (definitely not me) or a beginner. All abilities are welcome to join.

Depending on the interest, I would like to get around 10 people involved. But I want at least 5 people to join. If there are 7-10 people who sign up, then only one fly will need to be tied up for each person. If 6 or less people sign up, then two different flies will be required for each person. (This could change)

Please send your flies in a hard container including a separate self addressed envelope with the appropriate postage so I can send the swapped flies back to you.

Also make sure to include a paper tag with the name of your fly, your username and email. Make sure you attatch the tag to your flies! If you want a recipe of the someone else's fly, PM or email the originator for details. Makes tagging much, much easier and less cluttered.

To get my shipping address, just email me or send me a PM when you are ready to send the flies.

*Just list one fly at the moment. If we don't get enough particiapation, we can add another.

Fly Swappers and and the flies that are being tied

1. RnF - 706 Diamond Midge (pronounced seven 'ought' six)

If you have no idea what a fly swap is, read below.

What is a fly swap?
A fly swap consists a number of fly tiers exchanging flies and tying techniques with each other.

1. Each swap has a specified Maximum number of Tiers. Some are small, others larger.

2. Each swap has a specified fly type or theme. Please tie a fly that belongs to the Theme.

3. Registrations for a swap begin on the Swap start date on a First Come, First Serve basis.

4. The number of flies you need to tie can be determined by the Swapmaster (me) when the Swap is established.

5. On each of your flies you should attach a rectangular tag stating your name or alias and your e-mail, be sure to include the name of your pattern, so that all the flies can be identified by their recipients. Simply impale your fly into the tag. Do not attach tags with strings or wire; it causes a nasty mess of flies.

6. Next, place your flies in a crush-proof container in an envelope along with a seperate return envelope with your address and return postage already on it. The Swapmaster will use this container and return envelope to send you the Swapped flies.

*Some of the other tiers may be tying flies that are larger than yours, so make sure your container can hold larger flies also. Containers that do not have compartments and that are flat such as plastic boxes are perfect.

7. Please PM or email me to get the shipping address to send your flies once they complete.

8. Once all the flies are sent in, the Swapmaster will swap the flies so that everyone gets one fly of each that was tied up and send them back to you.

9. Go fishing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Great idea RnF! I am a novice but I would like to give it a shot. Put me down!

Jitterbug - Mike's Magic Midge

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for joining up! I know Jitterbug isn't the only one interested...

1. RnF – 706 Diamond Midge (pronounced seven 'ought' six)
2. Jitterbug - Mike's Magic Midge

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Put me down for a Crystal Beatis size 18.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome aboard. This has potential for being a really nice swap already. You aren't going to want to miss out on this one.

3. ScottyP - Midge Emerger TBD
4. Grandpa D - Crystal Beatis size 18

·
Registered
41 Posts
Please count me in. I will decide what fly and let you know.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry Ovirs1, You have tie a fly to be in on this one. Put that money towards a fly tying kit and you are in!

Only 3 more spots left.

3. ScottyP - Midge Emerger TBD
5. Cheech - Bunny Midge #32
6. Fishing31 - TBD
7. Bushrat311 - Partidge and Orange Soft Hackle

·
Registered
385 Posts
im in ill tell you what fly a in a few days

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome aboard Chuck. 2 spots left.

3. ScottyP - Tiny Flashback Pheasant Tail
6. Fishing31 - TBD
8. Chuckmiester - TBD

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One last spot open. Thanks for signing up, didn't think this was going to get off the ground. Good to see so many tiers on the site.

3. ScottyP - Tiny Flashback Pheasant Tail
6. Fishing31 - TBD
8. Chuckmiester - TBD
9. krc.humpy - TBD

1 - 20 of 128 Posts