Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went on a hike for about an hour. I ran into 5 recently dead fawns, 1 younger dead bull elk, and a doe with a collar that was close to dying. Actually pretty sad to see, nature is harsh. This wasn't a very long walk and was within a very small area, it's the most dead deer I've ran into in quite a few years in such a concentrated area. Aside from the sheep issues up north, how is winter kill looking in your areas? Worse than normal? About the same?

PS, Iron bear- none of these have even been touched by a coyote or cougar.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Last weekend I went for a 3 hour hike, found about 6 deer that have died recently. Went for about an hour hike yesterday and found 1. Not sure how it compares to years past, it was an area I have not been to before.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
It is a bit early to have a big picture idea, but I would say what I've seen is above average. I have not looked that much, so I will temper by comment with that. I would expect higher mortality in the Southern part of the state, based just on the winter you guys had down there alone. But I expect the same up North, based on a litany of other things seen here. We had an average winter up here.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
But certainly lost plenty of calories this winter trying to avoid them. ;)
After chasing deer all winter long and not catching any of them, tired and hungry, the predators convened a meeting. It was unanimously decided to implement a hunger strike, and immediately cease the act of scavenging, in the greatest act of defiance and protest against the act of prey evasion ever organized. At the end of the meeting the head coyote, bobcat, and lion all raised their collective paws in a defiant show of solidarity.....

Reactions: Kevin D and Vanilla

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Found this last week, reported it to the DWR.

Overall though, the deer and elk on the Manti and Nebo wintered very well!

Stood in one spot Thursday and glassed a 150 deer and 46 elk......

One herd of 85 deer in a single grass field!
Haven't seen that in Birdseye since the late 80s....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
All the deer I have seen lately look like they have made it through the winter very well. I've been seeing lots of healthy deer in the hills I have been hiking in in Sevier county and no dead ones. Hearing lots of chukars too. 8)

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Hiked 4 miles on the plateau yesterday and didn't find any dead deer/elk/antelope. The number of jackrabbit mummies was staggering. Draws that 6 weeks ago held hundreds of jacks, had none still alive. It was pretty sad to witness the boom and bust in so short a time for those rabbits.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Hiked 4 miles on the plateau yesterday and didn't find any dead deer/elk/antelope. The number of jackrabbit mummies was staggering. Draws that 6 weeks ago held hundreds of jacks, had none still alive. It was pretty sad to witness the boom and bust in so short a time for those rabbits.
There is allot of compelling evidence that correlates rabbit and deer numbers. You see some of the greatest over lap in habitat usage, and from a biological point of view they have allot in common. While deer are ruminants, rabbits are cecal digesters with their fermentation occurring in a hind gut just like horses. You see the same correlations between Pika and bighorns. So when you see something happen with one, you many times see that play out in the other as well. It can be a sort of canary in the coal mine scenario.

This by no means is a rule as rabbit and hare numbers cycle more sharply than deer numbers. But over the long haul they follow each other.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Again, we are only on the cusp of seeing any real impact of "winter kill". Most that died over the winter, went into winter in bad shape. This is the result of conditions last summer and fall.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
The only dead deer that I'm seeing are strewn along the sides of our highways. I drove from Farmington to Uintah this weekend and it was unreal how many were hit. I think most of the winter kill in Utah occurs between 50 and 70 mph.-----SS

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
The only dead deer that I'm seeing are strewn along the sides of our highways. I drove from Farmington to Uintah this weekend and it was unreal how many were hit. I think most of the winter kill in Utah occurs between 50 and 70 mph.-----SS
Yes, more than most realize. I use to really dismiss highway mortality, it is absolutely massive. This is driven by more than just animals crossing the highway.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/hi...cle_aae8dec4-94c4-11e1-abbb-0019bb2963f4.html

http://westernwildlifeecology.org/service/thompson-falls-mt/

We see the above happen in several concentrated places all over the West. Specifically with bighorns in other places in Canada, MT, and WY.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts