Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bird hunting outside Utah most of my life, but waterfowl is new to me (I live in So.UT so a trip usually needs to be planned in advance). I've got waders and some decoys and am planning on hunting towards the end of the year. Probably week days to avoid the weekend crowds.
A lot of the posts on here recommend new guys to pass shoot from the center dike at Farmington, but on the DWR page: Waterfowl hunt opener conditions (utah.gov) It mentions that shooting is prohibited within 600ft of all dikes.. I was hoping for some clarification from anyone with experience here.
I've also heard Farmington gets pretty hammered most of the season so I've also considered Ogden bay or Howard slough. Would one WMA be recommended over another for a foot soldier without a boat?
I would like the experience of decoying birds as I've never hunted that way before, but if jump shooting and pass shooting would make better use of my time, I'm open to it.
I have about 2doz decoys (black ducks, green teal, mallards). Do I set them all out this late in the season or just throw 6-8 of them out?
Any information or help is appreciated! I'll be going up in about 4 weeks so I was hoping to get a game plan figured out before I got there.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I figured it didnt make much sense not being able to shoot from the dikes. Is it worth bringing all my decoys my first time out? or just pass shooting ducks until I learn the area a bit more?

· Administrator
11,554 Posts
I'd bring the decoys along with a pair of binoculars to watch the birds and see their flight patterns if they are not coming into your spread.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts