Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its cheap, thats for sure, is it just because of the steel casings? Is it a good ammo? I have read some reviews on it and seems like you either like it or you dont. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I bought 1000 rds. of the Wolf when I bought my first .223. I thought I would just shoot P-dogs with it and never reload. They are the 62 grn. HP's. The best groups I could get out of them average was between .75 and 1.25. Not great but not that bad either. When they connected on the P-dogs they did just fine. I gave up on them because I was shooting nothing under 100 out to 300+. They just didn't do it for me. I think for jack rabbits they would work just fine. Some of the guys won't shoot them in an AR due to the lacquer issues. They don't want that lacquer in their chambers. I still have a half of case of them. I hear they are getting harder and more expensive to find.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Wolf works great if you are shooting a Russian, Eastern European, or Chinese gun. The steel casings seem to be too much for the American made guns; they need the expensive brass casings in my experience.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've seen you asking a lot of questions about .223's and must have missed what rifle you have,but anyway,IMO its not Good ammo, but it is Ammo. If you are running it in an AR, I can almost guarantee its going to give you problems compared to Any decent Brass ammo. If I had to pick between Brass and Steel Wolf it would be brass every time. In a bolt gun its probably fine, perhaps a little sticky I dunno. I have a bunch of Wolf in 223 and 7.62X39, the 7.62X39 always works in the rifle I have it for, in the .223 its not what I would call dependable,but you can get 1000 for $220 or so. Decent brass .223 it double that. Nobody would be running Wolf if it wasn't for this war, when the war is over ammo will come back down to earth. If you do have an AR get on AR15.com and read till your eyes hurt, you will learn a lot.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
I bought the case from Cabelas of 500 for about $90 a year ago, they seem to foul a lot more (I use them in a bolt action .223). Pattern is fair, they seem to be fine for plinking cans and such. The other choice are the Federals that Wal-mart and Cabelas use to have for about $50 for 200 rounds, the price has nearly doubled in the last year from the last time I checked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts