Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a phone call last night from a reliable source that spotted two wolves at the top of Logan Canyon (sinks area).

Has anyone one else heard of wolves running in this area?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes. There have been reports in that area and all through the Bear River Drainage to the East for years. My relatives have lost several calves and a horse to them.... Autopsies were conducted by biologists and they confirmed the type of predator.

·
Administrator
21,311 Posts
Any videos?

·
Administrator
21,311 Posts
I have a video of bigfoot, does that count? :shock:
No

Everyone knows there's a wolf or two, from time to time, in Utah. But how strange is it that none of the mangy elk-killing house pets of pinko liberals are captured on a trail cam video.

Give me a break. There are tens of thousands, perhaps millions, of trail cameras plastered all over Utah's elk timber. (wolves sole purpose in life is to prey on elk ya know) And not one Utah wolf video. Plenty of Bigfoot videos, got Jimi Hendrix hitch hiking on milepost 41 on the Mirror Lake Highway, and a coupla Jimmy Hoffa trail cam videos from around Monroe....but no wolf videos.

Anyway, everyone at the Utah Wolf Trail Cam Program (UWTCP) is anxiously waiting to process a video of these new Utah devil dogs. The UWTCP is THE canine compass for Utah wolves.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Pretty feasible after teh one out of Franklin Basin about 3 years ago. Cant imagine anyone questioning whether they are here; just a matter of how many and for how long, arent the confirmed sightings well into the teens now? Fortunately, not any permanent residents yet. It is crazy to see the maps of some of those with GPS, those things get around, more than Brian Wilson.

Reactions: GaryFish

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Just out of curiosity were those supposed DNA tests verified by an independent non biased 3rd party lab? Every time a wolf is killed in Utah it's always a supposed hybrid. Um folks, wolves don't usually breed with dogs otherwise there would be tens of thousands of hybrids out there

·
Administrator
21,311 Posts
Hey Goob, when I blast a wolf (after crying out "It's coming right for us!" of course) I'd be glad to mail you its balls on dry ice for your verification.
That'd be OK I guess. If you get a female wolf you're on your own.

Please don't mail them to the Utah Wolf Trail Cam Program (UTWTCP) without a trail cam video of the mangy beast verifiably taken in Utah. (that includes the Southwest Wyoming part of Utah)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Just out of curiosity were those supposed DNA tests verified by an independent non biased 3rd party lab? Every time a wolf is killed in Utah it's always a supposed hybrid. Um folks, wolves don't usually breed with dogs otherwise there would be tens of thousands of hybrids out there
The Franklin Basin "wolf" DNA testing was sent in by the Idaho Fish and Game to an independent lab for testing because it was killed across the border in Idaho.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
There's breeders that sell wolf dog hybrids, which is a much more plausible potential source for the wolf dog hybrid stories.

http://yadkinwolfden.com/puppies.php

They sell litters on a regular basis. Not sure what shelters do when a genius wolfdog owner walks in and says he doesn't want it anymore but my bet isn't that they stick it in a cage with a pomeranian. Also, I don't see the majority of people who would buy such an animal being the most responsible of persons. Probably the kind of person with a car payment higher than their rent. Also probably the kind that drives up into the mountains and drops their wolfdog off after coming home to a missing cat and a full bowl of gravy train.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Glad you tempered your statement with 'usually', because wolves will and do breed with dogs, just not on a frequent wide scale basis. They do breed with coyotes and have propagated a new strain of coywolf that is moving south and east from the north/midwest areas. Interesting to read about for sure.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a video of bigfoot, does that count?
No

Everyone knows there's a wolf or two, from time to time, in Utah. But how strange is it that none of the mangy elk-killing house pets of pinko liberals are captured on a trail cam video.

Give me a break. There are tens of thousands, perhaps millions, of trail cameras plastered all over Utah's elk timber. (wolves sole purpose in life is to prey on elk ya know) And not one Utah wolf video. Plenty of Bigfoot videos, got Jimi Hendrix hitch hiking on milepost 41 on the Mirror Lake Highway, and a coupla Jimmy Hoffa trail cam videos from around Monroe....but no wolf videos.

Anyway, everyone at the Utah Wolf Trail Cam Program (UWTCP) is anxiously waiting to process a video of these new Utah devil dogs. The UWTCP is THE canine compass for Utah wolves.

LMAO!!!! Couldn't agree more Goob.
Kinda like Whitetails are taking over in Utah too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts