Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have enough points to draw area 79 in Wyoming for elk next year. I will be hunting with my uncle who is a resident and will serve as my "guide" for the wilderness areas. I was curious how the public lands are outside of the wilderness area in case I have to hunt without my uncle present. Also, is it an area a person could be selective? Meaning, do I shoot the first spike I see or wait for a bigger, mature bull? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I am not an expert but that are plenty of places to hunt with out the guide. We have had the teton tags and the refuge tags and the area all around there. We have never been very selective. If it is a big bull we take the shot. The problem with that area is if there is no snow in yellowstone to push the elk down to Jackson the elk are few and far between. IMO I would think that for that 1000 dollars there are better places with less restrictions to hunt. If it snows and the elk are moving it is a hunt like no other. Just remember to bring your bear spray. Also get the number for the guy from Utah who stays at the cowboy motel thing in Jackson. He runs a company called you tag em we drag em. Well worth the 100 bucks he charges to get your elk out.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Just trying to get my research done WELL in advance.

My uncle mentioned the "tag em drag em" guy... and the pepper spray. :shock:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts