Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1,669 Posts
I hunted for about 4-5 hours today (until the dog was worn out).

It was a little tiresome, there were so many rabbits and I was constantly on the dog to not chase them.

Only seen two chickens and was lucky enough to put down a nice bull.

I have decided to get him mounted, I just need to find a good taxidermist.

Edit:

The picture did not want to load off of imgur

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Saw some today up in WY. Stupider than forest grouse... if that is possible. One hunkered down about 10ft from my truck tire and tried to "hide".

Seen more sharpies this year than I ever have, in both UT and WY. Haven't hunted them since the 80's... maybe its time to start again.

-DallanC

·
1,669 Posts
Saw some today up in WY. Stupider than forest grouse... if that is possible. One hunkered down about 10ft from my truck tire and tried to "hide".

Seen more sharpies this year than I ever have, in both UT and WY. Haven't hunted them since the 80's... maybe its time to start again.

-DallanC
I don't know if either one is stupid.

A major predator to the grouse is not humans. Raptors are the main concern at least for the sage grouse and hiding is the adaptation to prevent predation.

If they opened up a season at Yellowstone National Park for elk and people that were not familiar with elk got tags, they would drive down the road and kill and elk. They would think that elk are stupid, when the reality is they do not have a reason to fear humans, because humans are not viewed as predators.

Wyoming has an 11 day season for sage grouse and it is possible that some of the grouse have never been hunted and therefore have no reason to fear humans at all. Like a cow or a antelope, they are just another animal.

·
Registered
854 Posts

-DallanC
I don't know if either one is stupid.

A major predator to the grouse is not humans. Raptors are the main concern at least for the sage grouse and hiding is the adaptation to prevent predation.

If they opened up a season at Yellowstone National Park for elk and people that were not familiar with elk got tags, they would drive down the road and kill and elk. They would think that elk are stupid, when the reality is they do not have a reason to fear humans, because humans are not viewed as predators.

Wyoming has an 11 day season for sage grouse and it is possible that some of the grouse have never been hunted and therefore have no reason to fear humans at all. Like a cow or a antelope, they are just another animal.
Did you happen to just listen to a meateater podcast? They were literally just talking about the same thing!

·
Administrator
21,456 Posts
Good sage grouse numbers in Southwest Wyoming this year and lots of young birds.

Sage-grouse in the mornings, rabbits in the afternoon. It was a great weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
That's a nice prop (antler) for the picture.

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Good sage grouse numbers in Southwest Wyoming this year and lots of young birds.

Sage-grouse in the mornings, rabbits in the afternoon. It was a great weekend.

That looks like a wingmaster from the 80s? (looking at the design pattern on the stock)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
good hunting. hope it tasted extraordinare... according to the most recent data on how much we have spent on sage grouse conservation efforts (424 million to date) and how much we are going to spend over the next 5 years (211 million) and on current bird population estimates westwide (200,000 to 500,000) - that plate of one grouse current costs between $850 to $2120 dollars. eat quick because in five years the cost rises to $1275 to $3175 bucks. most expensive meat on the planet.
bon apetit!

·
Administrator
21,456 Posts
good hunting. hope it tasted extraordinare... according to the most recent data on how much we have spent on sage grouse conservation efforts (424 million to date) and how much we are going to spend over the next 5 years (211 million) and on current bird population estimates westwide (200,000 to 500,000) - that plate of one grouse current costs between $850 to $2120 dollars. eat quick because in five years the cost rises to $1275 to $3175 bucks. most expensive meat on the planet.
bon apetit!
I recommend shooting bigger birds to lower the cost per plate of sage grouse:

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
they are the biggest I've ever seen.!!

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
pretty dang sweet goob. them be sage turkeys... those are big enough i think i could hit em...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts