Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has enough points to draw the Wasatch or Fish Lake LE Late Big Bull tag. I'm familiar with both areas, but have only hunted them during the early, archery, and ML seasons between my tag and friends and family. What are your thoughts on the two? pro's/con's? Anyone have late season experience on both?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've never been to the fish lake area for elk. But I do spend a lot of time on the Wasatch that time of the year. Finding elk is usually not a problem, but getting to them can be difficult. With road closures and weather you never know.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She has no problem with the cold, her favorite thing to do is cross country skiing. We'd like to get her drawn so she can move on to LE Pronghorn and still potentially draw another rifle big bull tag. That's one of the many things were considering is the access portion of the hunt.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Forest Service road closures are the single biggest problem with the Wasatch Late hunt. Not sure if the FL closes roads too, but road closures can be difficult on the Wasatch. But then the Wasatch is close to home and you can get around enough to have a successful hunt. I think either hunt would be fun-- for a November hunt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How many points just curious my wife has 8 points and we really want to get her nothing huge but a 320 plus would be wonderful for her and our house just wondering if any good units out there for 8 points or getting close thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
I only know one of the units you listed and hunted it this year on the late.

As long as she can handle the cold I think it was a fun.

You're welcome to send a message with any questions you may have.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The Road past Fishlake from Fryin Pan Camp ground over to Mill Meadow was closed last Tuesday..But the lake was not Frozen. Not a soul around. Did not see any Elk but did see 2 Bursier Bucks with bout 16 head a does between em.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm, so you guys have pretty much nailed my thoughts so far. The Wasatch is close, but the roads for major access will be closed, we have horses to access it though. The Fish Lake is further but access will likely be better and from what I understand the herd is a little healthier. That about some up what you guys think too?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Late=extremely physical. If you are in shape and not scared of ridiculously steep terrain you will kill a dandy bull. If not you'll look at elk and wish you could get there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Fish Lake.....

Next years late LE elk hunts are REALLY late.
Nov 12th thru the 20th...

The FS will have the Wasatch locked up tight....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts