Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
There’s so many variables out of your control, it’s an impossible question to answer. One of which is how good are you at glassing? You can have 2 different guys sitting right next to each other at the same time and you’ll get 2 different reports on what they saw from that spot.

SJ elk ridge traditionally is a good spot to see bears from the road. But again, lots out of your control. A minute too early or too late, and you’ll miss it

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
If it has to be paved, uhh...good luck, unless maybe you're ok with seeing one through a spotting scope from a few miles away? In that case, go sit at the Little Acorn and glass the mountains while you eat a burger and shake that used to be so much better a couple decades ago. Do it enough and eventually you might spot one--I've had it happen a few times while fueling up before driving up the canyon.

But a good quality dirt road that I have hunted using a chevy prism or toyota camry, now that opens up a few possibilities of actually seeing a bear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it has to be paved, uhh...good luck, unless maybe you're ok with seeing one through a spotting scope from a few miles away? In that case, go sit at the Little Acorn and glass the mountains while you eat a burger and shake that used to be so much better a couple decades ago. Do it enough and eventually you might spot one--I've had it happen a few times while fueling up before driving up the canyon.

But a good quality dirt road that I have hunted using a chevy prism or toyota camry, now that opens up a few possibilities of actually seeing a bear.
Ok. I'll include good quality dirt roads. Where would you go?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Johnnycake is spot on! Most of the bear I see in that area are from the roads... Paved or good quality dirt roads. Most of the below pics were taken near that pin drop he left.

I haven't even photographed half of the bears we've seen right either in the road, or near it. Even the rug at the bottom ran across a paved road before it got harvested on a spot and stalk hunt!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
My sister's house, her neighbor took this a couple of days ago
Plant Wheel Tire Tree Vehicle

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Honestly, 4 legged bear are difficult to find without some effort. They generally keep to themselves and stay away from people. If one does take an interest in you, I'd suggest going the other way.

Every bear I've found in Utah has been while hunting (or at the zoo). Some glassing will turn one up but I run into bear in the uintas at lower elevation with some frequency. So far, all have quickly gone the other way thankfully.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts