Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a few weeks away from the antlerless application period in Utah. Although this years guidebook isn't out yet, I want to begin researching to find my 15 year old son a GREAT opportunity to harvest his first big game animal. He has 3 antlerless points going into this years draw and a cow elk is on his mind.

I'm interested in hearing advice about CWMU units. Is there any units you could suggest based off your experiences?

Thanks for anyone offering advice. Feel free to send me a PM.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I always hear good things about the Deseret CWMU. Never been there myself, but my buddy said they drive you around, and find the elk. You shoot the elk, they field dress it, load it in your truck, and you tip and go home.

Also seen quite a few threads on here last year with members very happy with their experience. If he's got three points, he's got a really good chance of drawing out 1 in 1.3 last year for those with 3 points.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Those odds can't be correct, I know a handful of guys my wife included who have four points or more and didn't draw that unit last year. I switched up units and my boy and me both scored on the first day. Is there a reason you are looking at a cwmu? If you want some information on other units send me a pm.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Those odds can't be correct, I know a handful of guys my wife included who have four points or more and didn't draw that unit last year. I switched up units and my boy and me both scored on the first day. Is there a reason you are looking at a cwmu? If you want some information on other units send me a pm.
I actually think I was looking at the wrong hunt for 1.3. BUT hunt 4510 has even better odds for 3 points at 1 in 1.1.

I don't know. Maybe I still have the wrong hunt...

Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Do they allocate 20% of the antlerless tags for youth, or just gs buck tags?

I only went on Deseret last year for the first time for a doe antelope, and it was a lot of fun. Great place, I didn't get up into elk country but it was very apparent that there is some awesome territory to explore up there. I've heard good things about Johnson Mountain Ranch too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts