Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey fellas, it's that time again. Even though it's camping and boating season now, in just a few short weeks it will be time to take a kid into the marsh for possibly a life changing experience.

Specifically we are asking for just your help on youth day but if later in the season works better for you we are happy to accommodate.

One of the first questions anyone asks is liability:
The Parents are required to fill out a guardian consent form, long before they are going hunting, also they are required to have a guardian present on the hunt. We also give the lucky participants a safety and shooting clinic in August with a strong recommendation that they do plenty of shooting after so they are comfortable with their weapon.

It is your hunt, you say who shoots when, your are the boss. If there is a child who is unsafe it is at your discretion when that hunt ends. I personally make all the youth clear their chamber when anyone is in front of the blind, including the dog.

It is a truly incredible experience to watch a kids face light up as the birds surround them in the predawn darkness.

I learned to hunt from reading magazines and a friend or two. My dear ole DAD didn't hunt. He is the greatest man I know but not a hunter. I know I would have jumped at the chance to go out with an experienced hunter. That is why I am so passionate about this program.

If there is anyone that would want to be a mentor Please let me know. We could really use the help.

Just as an FYI about the program:

Last year we had over 200 kids apply and we were only able to get 31 out, keep in mind that 31 was with at least 2 or three of us taking 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening. While any legal child can apply, with odds like that, most likely the children you take out will not have anyone else in the picture to take them out. The majority of them have never been in the marsh, but have enough desire to learn more about it that they have applied to get up at 3am on a perfectly lovely Saturday morning

This Program has been in place for about Nine years if I remember correctly and Started with Delta Waterfowl, Troy Thompson and I. Today, I (Widow Maker Boats) get to work with the State of Utah in the form of the late Keith Fullenkamp and Wyatt Bubok and recently the Wasatch Widgeons have stepped in to help out. The program has seen plenty of changes and modifications but two things have stayed the same. GETTING KIDS INTO THE MARSH THAT WOULDN'T HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY OTHERWISE and WITHOUT YOU GUYS IT WON'T WORK!!!!!! So please if you can help these kids out we would really appreciate it.

If you would like to become a mentor please give me a call or send me a message and I would be happy to discuss the details and get your info if you are interested

Thanks, Chuck
Widow Maker Boats
[email protected]

You can also Call Jody Hendrix
Wasatch Widgeons

1 - 1 of 1 Posts