Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Not sure yet. i know im taking my nephew out in the morning and i might help out with the mentored for a after noon hunt. i will see on that when it get closer.

·
Registered
548 Posts
We are hoping to have everyone paired by the 24th of July so please don't take too much time to decide. So far we have 21 confirmed mentors and 10 times that many applied! Come duck hunters, help the youth out!

·
Registered
548 Posts
why so early this year ?
We are trying to get the mentors and mentees paired up earlier than 5 a.m. on the morning of the hunt. There have been some bad experiences the last few years apparently with kids that show up with mis-matched guns and ammo or never having shot a shotgun and giving up after their first shot. We need to know who is mentoring because the kids are going to be shooting some clays with us and we can't accept a kid into the program if we don't have a mentor for them.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
We are trying to get the mentors and mentees paired up earlier than 5 a.m. on the morning of the hunt. There have been some bad experiences the last few years apparently with kids that show up with mis-matched guns and ammo or never having shot a shotgun and giving up after their first shot. We need to know who is mentoring because the kids are going to be shooting some clays with us and we can't accept a kid into the program if we don't have a mentor for them.
gotcha. thanks Izzydog. having them shoot clays is smart idea. i had a girl one year after shooting ten shells she was done and we called it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
why so early this year ?
That is actually when we have selected kids the last few years because we have to get all of their paperwork done in time for the shooting clinic on the second Sat in Aug. We need to know how many kids we can draw based on how many mentors we have. In the past we selected kids with an estimate of how many mentors we were going to get and last year we got burned. We picked 30 or so kids and only had about 6-8 guys to take them out. Some guys took 3 kids in the morning and a couple in the afternoon just to make it work. We got them all out though.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
That is actually when we have selected kids the last few years because we have to get all of their paperwork done in time for the shooting clinic on the second Sat in Aug. We need to know how many kids we can draw based on how many mentors we have. In the past we selected kids with an estimate of how many mentors we were going to get and last year we got burned. We picked 30 or so kids and only had about 6-8 guys to take them out. Some guys took 3 kids in the morning and a couple in the afternoon just to make it work. We got them all out though.
gotcha there chuck that make sent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts