Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm down at Yuba for the next few days and was wondering if anyone had some pointers for pike. We don't have a boat for this trip so we'll be on the beach. We didn't have a single bite today so looking for some help. Per some research here we tried the area between Oasis and the dam using large perch-colored Rapala's, 3/4oz Daredevils, and several other things. Can anyone advise a better place or lure?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
On that side of the lake I have my best luck within 30 yards of the docks on either side. Seriously. For lures, I like a 2" firetiger perch pattern crank, but a rainbow pattern can work well too. Bait, sardines rigged up just off the bottom with two trebles so they hang horizontally. I haven't fished Yuba for a couple years, and my understanding is the population of pike isn't all that high==low success rate. But if you do catch one, odds are good it'll be 34" or bigger.

The Painted rocks side is pretty good, just look for points that jut out into the lake with good brush cover. I like to fish anywhere north of the painted rocks boat launch for about the first 1.5 miles.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I think you have a good plan. The pike population down there is over hyped, it's not even close to what it was 4 years ago. But those facebook pages get everyone headed down there and 99 percent of people are unsuccessful. I've caught a lot of pike down there but I won't waste my time with it at this point, it's a lot like muskie fishing and I'd rather actually be fishing for muskie if it's going to be that slow. But if you've never caught one, than I can understand why people would head down there. work areas 5-15 ft deep, anything perchy looking, swim baits, rapala stick baits like husky jerks, spinner baits etc. 4-5 inch size was always what I threw for them. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts