Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now a resident of Wyoming and have 4 points in the general pool for deer, I usually hunt the currant Creek muzzleloader on a second choice tag. I'm wondering what the odds are of drawing a Zion rifle tag as a second choice. The first choice odds are 100%.

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
Since the wildlife board didn't fix the loop hole it looks like it will be in effect for at least another year, so your chances should be good.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good, as long as you don't draw your first choice.
Ill put in for the loophole unit for a first choice, hopefully draw the second and go with the loophole project until its fixed, then Ill just apply where my son wants to hunt. I think Ill buy his tag to hunt in Wyoming before I'll start at ground level in Utah again though.

·
1,666 Posts
You are going to close to drawing the NR portion of that first draw unit.

I actually like the "loop-hole", because it allows for people to hunt while waiting for the general season limited draw area Fish Lake 1000 lakes.

For Non Residents only the Henry Mountains, La Sal Dolares Triangle, and San Juan Elk Ridge give out less rifle tags than Fish Lake 1000 lakes unit does as General Season Rifle.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I've always heard grand stories about the mule deer hunting in other western states and how bad Utah sucks compared to them. I could see applying as a non-res from California or something though. It just seems like applying for mule deer hunts as a Wyoming resident (an allegedly superior mule deer state) is backwards. But if you have good mule deer spots in Utah, why not?

·
1,666 Posts
I've always heard grand stories about the mule deer hunting in other western states and how bad Utah sucks compared to them. I could see applying as a non-res from California or something though. It just seems like applying for mule deer hunts as a Wyoming resident (an allegedly superior mule deer state) is backwards. But if you have good mule deer spots in Utah, why not?
A lot of areas in the Wyoming Range and Wind River range close on October 7th. It's not replacing another hunt, but picking up another one.

It can be a good tool to familiarize yourself with the terrain of a limited Elk Area.

It can be good to hunt with family or close friends that do not draw in Wyoming.

So, it is really a mixed bag from my perspective.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
I actually like the "loop-hole", because it allows for people to hunt while waiting for the general season limited draw area Fish Lake 1000 lakes.
The whole point of the "preference point" system was to move people through the general draw as fast as possible, so EVERYONE has minimal wait. The only unit with the longest wait WAS the unit everyone most wanted to hunt.

People are gaming the system causing other to wait, while they put in for a unit they hope they DONT draw, to be first to draw somewhere else.

Its broken, plain and simple.

-DallanC

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can blame the dedicated hunter and lifetime license programs. With out those two programs eating up the majority of the tags in the unit everyone wants to hunt, the draw might go the way it was "designed".

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
The whole point of the "preference point" system was to move people through the general draw as fast as possible, so EVERYONE has minimal wait. The only unit with the longest wait WAS the unit everyone most wanted to hunt.

People are gaming the system causing other to wait, while they put in for a unit they hope they DONT draw, to be first to draw somewhere else.

Its broken, plain and simple.

-DallanC
Maybe you're wrong Dallan. Maybe the point system was designed to give the elite few who were savvy enough to understand the system a marked advantage over those who take a more casual approach to hunting. If this was the case then the program is an overwhelming success. -----SS

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
A very good friend of mine now resides in Albuquerque, NM and he comes to Utah every year for the general deer hunt. He claims that the Utah deer hunt is outstanding compared to his deer hunt experiences in NM.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Bugchuker, I'd predict the Plateau, Thousand Lakes rifle unit to draw at 7 points this year for non-residents. Based off last years numbers I'd say you have 4 to 8 years of living the dream through the loophole.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Maybe you're wrong Dallan. Maybe the point system was designed to give the elite few who were savvy enough to understand the system a marked advantage over those who take a more casual approach to hunting. If this was the case then the program is an overwhelming success. -----SS
I've had that discussion with Packout more than a few times. DWR makes the game, smart people look for the loophole and exploit the heck out of it ... which usually lasts until the "masses" learn of it. Anyone remember the "hunt the bookcliffs every 2 years loophole? Lol... the guy that did that was a genius, he should have kept his mouth closed though, then he probably could still be doing it.

-DallanC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts